82 Ford Full-Size Versus 82 Toyota Sunrader

zero

Road tests done around the same time by the same people at Trailer Life magazine in 1982. Kind of surprising - at least to me. Both basically mini-micro motorhomes. One on a full-size Ford F150 truck Roll-A-Long RV with a 4.9 liter straight-six and auto trans. The other a Sunrader Silverado Toyota with a 2.4 engine and standard trans. What really surprises me is they both got near the same fuel mileage which looks to me like the Ford may of done better if it too had a manual trans. It had a 3 speed automatic with no lockup converter and no overdrive. I will note that I have a 1995 Ford F150 with the same basic straight six. Mine has FI and more power then the six in 1982. Mine is also 4WD and has a four-speed automatic with OD and lockup. I can barely get 16-17 MPG empty on the highway with just the truck. But maybe the 1982 carbed version was better on gas? I used to have one but cannot remember. Besides - back when I had it I probably never had a full tank and never actually checked fuel mileage.

post-6578-0-19656300-1449427618_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-08994800-1449427637_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-86232800-1449427640_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-48180900-1449427642_thumb.jp

I have seen only one of these Roll Along's ever for sale. It was owned by a guy near Las Vegas who had quite a collection of unusual motorhomes. He also owned a Clarion. The Roll Along had a lot of water damage or I might have bought it just because I like the straight 6 engine. 16mpg plus does sound a little high though. I had a friend with a Coachmen Caper with the same engine and about the same size and it got 15 but that's putting along at 50 max. They really don't go much faster. The 3 speed is geared pretty low and at highway speeds the RPM's are up there. In the Sierra's it was a dream to drive. No hill it couldn't take with ease.

Linda S