A/c Replacement

str8raidin

I'm new to the site. I apologize if this one is already out there.

I have a 1989 21' 6cyl Sunrader that I would like to replace the overhead A/C unit. Mine is not blowing cold when it is hot outside and the fan acts like it doesn't want to work sometimes. Kinda like its struggling to blow cold or even blow at all. At low speed it really struggles. Anyway I was just wondering what anyone has done to replace the unit completely. Thanks.

Replacing them is not difficult if you have help and a way to get almost 100 pounds on the roof. The price for parts will be at least $600 and can go as high as your wallet will allow. I removed my A/C because we seldom camp with electricity and when it was run, it sounded like I was in an aircraft hanger with a jet engine warming up. Very LOUD.

Its a really simple thing that is rather complicated? 4 bolts hold the unit to the roof, that are accessed from inside the camper. The roof is rather weak so I lay plywood on the roof to walk on or move AC on.

Then of course is the roof sagged, is it time to reinforce the roof?

Then there is the choice of which AC unit. 9200,11000,13500 or 15000 BTU's, heat or no heat. My choice today would be the 11,000 btu Coleman Power Saver. Because it is my choice does not make it the right choice for you.

I would do a search on this site on AC's and check You Tube and anything else you can find to get a better idea of what questions you want to ask.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2tePsmbVVY

http://randygodwin.hubpages.com/hub/How-To-Replace-An-RV-Or-Camper-Trailer-Rooftop-RV-Air-Conditioner

HTH Jim

I would advise that it can be easy provided you have a huge kneewall to backup to.

That's what I did. I backed it up against my homes kneewall and literally picked it up and walked over the gap stepping onto the roof at the same level as the roof. Popcorn schmeezy that way.

Careful choice of the model you get and generator selection is warranted also. I would be suspicious of a true 13500 BTU unit being run for long periods of time on a Honda EU2000 without experiencing overload. I doubt that expensive generator will live long running a real 13500 unit.