1993 Toyota Dolphin 900 V6 gas milage

John A

I am courious if any of you Toyota motor home owners are getting gas milage similar to what I am. I just bought this unit last week and went on a 200 mile check out trip this weekend, my milage disappointed me. Just about exactly 11, and this was driving 50/55 in overdrive. I live in east Texas so the terrain is relatively flat. The engine runs smooth and seems relatively powerful considering the weight and wind drag. We had no water on board, the holding tanks were empty and two people so there was no overload. We encountered a terrific rain storm during the night and no leaks so that was a positive. All of the appliances worked great, another positive.

If I understand the injection system correctly, it is a throttle body system. I have not bought any books on the Toyota chassis yet.

Any suggestions.

I have a 1990 Toyota Odyssey with a V6 and get 14 to 15 at 55mph on flat ground fully loaded.

A few things you might want to check out are:

1) your Air Filter, a dirty one will reduced your MPG by up to 20%

2) your Tire Air Pressure, under inflated could reduce up to 10%. Check you max

air pressure, if you have a truck tire (as you should), the air pressure is usually

in the 50psi to 60psi range (depends on brand), so if you had your tires at 35psi

and your rating stated 55psi, you could of been running at 20psi under.

3) you might be ready for a tune up (new plugs, etc...)

Hope this helps,

Dennis...

My 92 v6 averages overall 13.75 if it was level ground no wind would be more,mine has separte injectors not throttle body.The milage climbing grades at a lower speed still about same not pushing so much wind. Tom

At 50/55 MPH lock out the O/D.

The V-6 has full EFI not TBI

Our '86 22RE A43D Dolphin achieved 13.89MPG for the most recent 10,000Mi. To the OP, you might be a little low (I hear about 12MPG for a late model V6). To you other Folks, unless your road speed is no more than 45Mph....I don't believe it. Keep every Gas Receipt for something like 5000Mi, add them up for a total number of gallons consumed and divide those Total Miles Driven by those Total Gallons Consumed and then tell me about it.

Lew

Geysergazers; I put 1748 miles on my '88 Sunrader 21' 22RE Auto from Phoenix through the mountains of s.w. Colorado and back home and kept records of each fill up. I used 110.32 gallons which works out to almost 16 mpg. I kept my cruising speed between 55 and 60, a few times a little faster, and tried to be gentle on the gas pedal. I speed up some before any long grade but once it slowed enough to strain a little I down shift and run 2nd about 45 mph and 25 in first over the highest elevation passes. Even with 120K on the motor she runs great. I think anyone who gets terrible mileage could have a heavy foot and be trying to get too much out of the little beast or it could need to be hooked up to some test equipment to see if some sensor or other mystery component needs attention.

McShank, your experience is in very close agreement with ours. I see that your trip was at elevations above 4000Ft (except for the first and last few miles). When Ms Dolphin's ECU senses 4000Ft (actually about 3400Ft) and changes to the high altitude mode we immediately see consistent 15MPG (still air) or above. In Yellowstone at 45Mph we get 18Mpg. However, most of the 10,000Mi we traveled in 2007 was below 4000Ft where we get 14Mpg still air. Inevitably we faced a couple thousand Mi of headwind/crosswind at 11.5Mpg-12.5Mpg (across New Mexico with a strong headwind I once saw under 11Mpg). Hence the overall 13.89Mpg.

Engine OK with 163PSI Compression Pressure and ECU and all sensors OK. New NGK Plugs and air filter every 5000Mi. Mobil 1 Oil. P195R14 tires inflated to 36PSI rear and 30PSI front. Speed 58Mph.

In August 2005 I left Old Faithful in the morning and drove with a Tailwind all day into Western Nebraska and Achieved 19Mpg for that 500Mi. I would be lying to myself though if I claimed that "We get 19Mpg with our Toyota MH"....

Lew