San Jose or Bust

Supurcar

Well we are going to test this thing out on a long drive in mid December. I have the tailights working, fridge, heater, and changed all the fluids etc. I did find a storage box on the outside that looks like the bottom has either rotted or some screws came loose that I will have to repair before we leave. I just bought a thing called a Torpedo to project TV or DVD on the wall for entertainment, small and compact, nothing fancy but will do.

We will be traveling down from Washington thru middle Oregon. We are still planning our route, from Eastern Washington it is shorter to take 97. But the road is smoother on 5, we lose about 2.5 hours tho. I guess the RV parks will make the difference. I read of a nice RV park at Seven Feathers, maybe too nice for what we are doing. We would like to drive for about 6-8 hours and stay in southern Oregon or Northern California overnight and finish the drive to the Bay Area the next day. what we need is a dog friendly RV park with a nice facility, like showers and power and maybe even cable. Not a sight seeing stop, but would be nice if it is scenic, maybe if we can make it to Shasta and stop there. We will have a house to power up to in San Jose, but may take Greg up on the Aptos RV park once in the area and stay a night there too. We should be 3-5 days in Silicon Valley and then drive back to Washington and home before Christmas.

Any suggestions of good RV parks in the Northern California-southern Oregon region on the I-5 corridor would be great help. And any Sunrader tips for long travel as well. I will post a trip report when we return.

Sounds like a great test, I just bought my 89 and am planning on a few local trips to the sierra nevada's and then one up to Stonyford in N.CA. I need to get to work on it a bit, it has a tranny cooler but the fittings are a little old so i need to replace them before a long trip, also want to take out the carpet and put in pergo. Let us know how that trip goes.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't know if this will get to you in time. In southern Oregon, avoid Ashland. It's very expensive. Stop before or after. Round about Xmas is when I5 can get shut down with ice storms. But who knows with the climate changes. If the weather is bad, the Oregon coast route is an option. It gets very little snow at the worst. The road is very good, but just two lane and curvy in places. Plenty of passing lanes. The scenery is outstanding. Worth the drive. Tons of state and federal RV parks at nice locations for el cheapo and real nice.

Good luck

post-1272-1198433378_thumb.jpgpost-1272-1198433363_thumb.jpgpost-1272-1198433339_thumb.jpgpost-1272-1198433292_thumb.jpgpost-1272-1198433275_thumb.jpgpost-1272-1198433246_thumb.jpgpost-1272-1198433222_thumb.jpgpost-1272-1198433194_thumb.jpgpost-1272-1198308761_thumb.jpgpost-1272-1198308676_thumb.jpgpost-1272-1198308530_thumb.jpg Well we made it thru Northern California and Central Oregon. This was quite a trip this time of year and all, I learned a lot about the Sunrader for sure. We went thru Shasta and up to Bend on 5 and then on 97 in a snow storm and it really handled it quite well. I actually like to travel in these elements as it levels the playing field, everyone has to go slow, ha ha. Actually if you get a good run at the hills, this thing does real well.

I am working on the pictures of our trip, so I will add more later and tell about where we stayed.

I have attached some more picture in this latest edit of this post. Mostly Klammath Falls, Mt. Shasta, Shasta Lake and the mothball fleet on the way to the Bay Area.