22Re - New Injector Confusion?

zero

This discussion began on another thread. Figure I'd put it here maybe to be more specific.

I'm trying to put new fuel injectors in my 1988 Minicruiser with the 22RE engine. I have been reluctant to do it this time of year since I don't want the RV laid up. I never know when I'll be using it this time of year.

I ordered four brand new injectors. I do not want so-called "rebuilt" injectors. So, as I got looking around - I see that 1988 Toyota 22RE injectors are kind of special and ONLY used in model year 1988. OK. That's what I have.

So, got the new injectors and decided to pull the Toyota apart today. Just turned into another parts mess. I've had a lot of issues trying to buy parts ahead of time and getting the correct ones.

These new injectors do not fit. Figures. The original injectors have a rectangular shaped connector with right-angle corners. Denso # 23250-5011. They have one hole for gas spray. The new injectors have an oval-shaped connector with round corners. Denso 23250-35040. They have two spray holes.

So I got searching again and found my injectors are used up through model year 1987. Yes, my rig was made in 1987 (November) but so were probably most model-year 1988s. I ended up ordering new injectors from NAPA for $80 each for a 1987. Kind of shame since I got these four new injectors for $35 each.

I see some places are selling wire-harness adapters to put these newer injectors in my engine. But I'm hesitant. I also see adapters to block some resistor that powers them and I find it kind of confusing. I don't want to mess with some so-called "upgrade" unless I know for sure it will work properly.

Does anyone here have an knowledge about this so-called "upgrade" to newer injectors?

As things stand now - nobody has the injectors in stock. Advance auto can only get 3 and it will take three days. So I ordered from NAPA and they will have four new ones on Tuesday morning.

One other option is to buy new wire-harness ends. That is, cut off my old ones and splice in the new ones. THEY are in stock at Advance. But I have no idea if these new 1988 injectors have a different internal resistance and I'd mess something up trying to use them.

I am starting to hate working on Toyotas.

If anyone here has a need for four brand new injectors for a 22RE - likely for a late 88 or a 1989 model year - let me know. $30 each - brand new Denso injectors. Not rebuilt.

post-6578-0-11112500-1440875729_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-69692900-1440875730_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-05751600-1440875732_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-01940900-1440875733_thumb.jp

"The original injectors have a rectangular shaped connector with right-angle corners. Denso # 23250-5011."

Not to be picky but looking at the pic provided I think the number is -45011 not -5011...hope you ordered the right ones.

"The original injectors have a rectangular shaped connector with right-angle corners. Denso # 23250-5011."

Not to be picky but looking at the pic provided I think the number is -45011 not -5011...hope you ordered the right ones.

That was just me not keyboarding the number in correctly. Got the right ones ordered. I guess there's no way to go too wrong. If the connector fits - the injector is correct.

Seems the problem is this. The place is selling the injectors (the new ones I got) by model year which does not work. He should of been selling by build-date instead. I've got three 22REs here. Model years 87 and 88. Build dates 10/87/, 3/87, and 5/87. All have the same rectangle-type connectors.

I found out that some people claim using the newer injectors is an "upgrade" that gives better fuel mileage. I personally do not believe it. But - there's a kit with wire harness adapters to install them into my engine. It not only requires those four adapters - a fifth is also required to remove a resistor from the system that powers the injectors. Not something I'm going to mess with. Kit something like shown in this Ebay ad.

I'm sticking with the OEM type injectors although they're going to cost me $320 total. I don't feel like experimenting. Too much work to swap them.

post-6578-0-11493400-1440935808_thumb.jp

Here's a better photo of the adapter needed to install a later model injector into a 1987 or older 22RE (built year, not model year). Called an "EV6 to EV1" adapter. If doing this - a resistor also has to be bypassed that powers the injectors. I'm not going to do this - but I guess now I know the correct designations for these different type plugs.

post-6578-0-57725500-1440936498_thumb.jp