Took my Sunrader out for a drive this past Sunday on a back road with small hills. First hill I started to go up, the engine began to slightly rev in 4th gear with no pick up in speed. Been there before, it's clutch time. Does anyone know if these C&C chassis's use the standard size pick-up clutch? I'd like to install one of the heavy-duty Kevlar clutches, anyone have any experience with these type of clutch disks?

I've got all of my tools lined up and ready, just waiting for me to get off the sofa. Why do these heavy jobs only happen when it's cold, especially on the driveway, underneath this beast? One more reason why an automatic looks better.

I would wait until spring, but the honey-do jar is full and I've been threatened, if I keep letting it slip whenever good weather is about.

Allen

Allen the clutch in these things is about as straight-forward as you can get ... to replace. But I am sure that the OEM clutch was more than just the same one they used in the pickup. Knowing that, and realizing that aftermarket parts rarely last as long as OEM's I would buy the heaviest-duty clutch possible to replace it with.

When I replaced the clutch in my Toyota 4x4 pickup I put in a Downey Racing HD Super Clutch and pressure plate. It had a noticeable increase in peddle pressure to operate but it grabs like the dickens. No complaints and the additional cost is outweighed by the longer life expectancy of a better grade unit

http://www.downeyoff-road.com/ChassisCompo...s/Clutches.html

Thanks Guys,

That Downey Super Clutch looks like it will fit the bill. I glad that Mike has used it. I just didn't want to get stuck with an after market unit that claimed it was heavy duty and the only difference between their HD and Standard was the color of paint. I would like to feel just a bit more pressure under my foot whenever I press the pedal down.

Allen

• 3 months later...

The clutch finally gave out about 3 miles from my house, called Good Sams' Emergency Service and it was sitting in my driveway exactly the way I wanted it in less than an hour. I had already bought a new Heavy Duty Racing Clutch Kit ($300) and was just waiting on better weather.

Finally a few nice days arrived and I jacked it up with my new 3 ton floor jack ($50 on sale at local Harbor Freight Tools)and set the front wheels on ramps. I slid the transmission back, cleaned everything with brake cleaner, removed the old clutch and flywheel. Took the flywheel and the throwout bearing hub to a machine shop where they removed the old bearing from the hub and pressed a new one on, turned the flywheel to remove light grooves and replaced the pilot bearing. Total cost with me supplying the bearings (from clutch kit): $40.

While I have it torn apart I bought a rebuilt starter for $60 from Auto Zone, hope it works. The old starter would sometimes just spin in place and not connect to the flywheel everytime. The gear reduction unit was going bad on the starter.

Now just sitting, waiting to install everything when the next good weekend arrives.

The old clutch disk was worn so thin that you can flex it with your hands and it was the original Toyota part I think, with about 94,000 miles on the Sunrader. The pressure plate was really scored up, but the flywheel was not that bad. There was no pressure on the plate when I backed out the bolts holding it to the flywheel. The Sunrader ran another 50 miles after the first time I felt it slip in 4th gear,

Bottom Line: First time the clutch slips, have it replaced immediately and sign up for Good Sam's Emergency Road Service, it's well worth it especially with our little jewels aging right along with us.

Allen

post-481-1205433902_thumb.jpg

post-481-1205433916_thumb.jpg

Had a nice day this weekend and jumped under the Sunrader to get her clutch installed. Took all day with alignment and all of the bolts and attachments, also installed a new starter. Went to attach the clutch slave clylinder and noticed seepage from the rubber boot so I installed a new slave ($11) after cleaning the reservoir and line. It was filled with rusty sludge.

I was expecting better performance but was not ready for what I got. That racing clutch has a much thicker disc and puts the action dynamics down on the pedal further with a much stronger feel to the pedal due to the stronger pressure plate, release the pressure just a little and she's gone! It may be my imagination, but she was climbing hills much better and actually accelerating in 4th gear instantly. She shifts a lots better now, too.

Spent a whole day trying to break the clutch in and relearn how to ease the clutch out. Also used the starter a lot to make sure it was going to continue working under hot and cold engine conditions, Everything's fine except my left calf has a charley horse now.

After doing all of that work, I decided to go ahead and get her cabin systems going. Flushed and sterlized her on-board water supply. Checked everything: furnace, water heater, roof air, refrigerator, water pump, microwave, range, oven, TV, stereo, sinks, shower, commode, lights, charger....... everything worked. Just gotta change oil, check tire pressures, and give her a good inside and outside cleaning and I'm ready for the road.

Allen