Help! Driving Across The Country. Need Advice!

candace

By the way, when I said the pump you posted was fine as far as pressure goes, my reference was for the one you have under the hood (the Airtex). NOT the new Holley you just bought. That is not considered a "low pressure" pump and I would not use it. That is a "medium" pressure pump. That Airtex is rated 2-4 PSI which is good for small engines on lawn mowers and garden-tractors and also small car engines that have carbs with small floats, needle & seats for fuel control. That Holley is rated 4-6 PSI and designed for bigger auto engines with bigger floats, needle & seats. That Holley is also NOT suitable to mount under the hood. It makes too much pressure and is not designed to draw fuel from a distance and height. It's bad enough when the RV is on a flat road. When going up a steep hill - it gets real bad since the tank gets way below the engine compartment (where the pump is mounted now). The old Ford Model T trucks had no fuel pump with the gas tank in back and mounted a little higher then the engine. Worked fine until you came to a steep hill. Then the engine would starve for fuel unless you turned around and backed up so the gas tank stayed higher then the engine. Not quite the same issue as with your Toyota, but you get the idea. If you really want an electric pump - why not just buy a pump that is rugged and made for the job. That's the Walbro FRB I posted. It's one of the few on the market that is very durable and can draw fuel from a distance. Even so, even if I had that one, I'd still have it mounted by the tank. If I had your rig, I'd just put a new mechanical pump on the engine and call it "good."

I really appreciate the advice. I really want to get back on the road asap. I can go pick this mechanical pump up from Advanced Auto today http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/carquest-or-airtex-mechanical-fuel-pump-1330/5773415-P#fragment-3

As for the electric Holley, I bought the wrong one. This is the one I was supposed to buy http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/holley-mighty-might-electric-fuel-pump-12-426/10717170-P?searchTerm=12-426

So my options are to mount an electric pump close to the tank on the frame rail or to install a mechanical pump. Why would I want and electric over a mechanical and vice versa?

first things first.. The mechincal fuel pump mounts on the top front of the engine. Do you have the fittings and enough hose???

http://www.yotatech.com/attachments/f114/90488d1358968741-help-please-questions-about-replacing-fuel-pump-1982-22r-22re_fuel-pump.jpg

You need to install the electric fuel pump correctly so that means close to the tank, probably need to run new wires too.

first things first.. The mechincal fuel pump mounts on the top front of the engine. Do you have the fittings and enough hose???

http://www.yotatech.com/attachments/f114/90488d1358968741-help-please-questions-about-replacing-fuel-pump-1982-22r-22re_fuel-pump.jpg

You need to install the electric fuel pump correctly so that means close to the tank, probably need to run new wires too.

If I buy the mechanical pump (which seems easier to me), I'm going to buy enough hose as well.

If I buy the proper electric pump, I'm going to buy enough wire to run from the tank up to the battery and some new hose. But I'll have the added task of drilling a hole in the rail frame. I'm leaning towards the mechanical pump. However, the mechanical pump may not be suitable as the PSI is 3.5 to 4.75. Do I need a lower pressure than that? I'll order one if I have to, but was hoping to get back on the road today.

OK go with the mechanical pump, install it and drive it. If its OK, Bingo you're done. If it runs rich get a pressure regulator and install it between the pump and carb.

• 3 weeks later...