Ezpass Toll Transponder Fyi

My wife today found the toll transponder from my old Ford Focus. Most of my casual driving doesn't often involve toll roads and my work vehicle has one paid for by the company. There are many when we travel with the RV where we hit lots of toll roads. So I did a bit of digging that eventually lead to me giving the Toll agency a call. Seems you can get a transponder that is programmed for your type of vehicle if it is not a normal car or truck. The dually wheels are the issue here as I always have to pay the higher toll rate for the RV. They said they would send me a new transponder for my account. They wanted the number of axles and wheels along with height and weight. The states all along the east coast have agreements and use the same equipment so it is going to be handy not to have to sit in line waiting to pay the tolls.

So the other transponder? Gave it to the wife to use for her car.

Don,

how old is the transponder? Ipass (Chicago) sent me new transponders in 2013, the new ones are narrow and thicker. Swap out the old one and get an additional one for the toyo.

It is a few years old but it is the same as the one I'm using on my company vehicle which they sent last fall. Wife is getting the old one. Toyo is getting a new unit programmed for the dually's.

• 1 year later...

I live in Michigan but need a Chicago Ipass.  I want to order by phone today ( because their order website is down today for a new install).  Question is mounting the transponder.  If I put it on the windshield as recommended will the over-cab bunk interfere with the signal?  They have a special transponder that mounts on the front bumper license plate spot.  Would I need to get one of those instead?

8 hours ago, BobBeery said:

I live in Michigan but need a Chicago Ipass.  I want to order by phone today ( because their order website is down today for a new install).  Question is mounting the transponder.  If I put it on the windshield as recommended will the over-cab bunk interfere with the signal?  They have a special transponder that mounts on the front bumper license plate spot.  Would I need to get one of those instead?

I mounted mine on the window in the sleeping berth and it has worked without issue.  All the readers I've encountered are from above.  Before I mounted it though, I had it on the dash and it worked there but we only went through a couple tolls so not exactly much of a test.

16 hours ago, Back East Don said:

I mounted mine on the window in the sleeping berth and it has worked without issue.  All the readers I've encountered are from above.  Before I mounted it though, I had it on the dash and it worked there but we only went through a couple tolls so not exactly much of a test.

Thanks, Don.  I never thought of putting it up there but that should be perfect.