Correct Tire Valve - Ff Wheel - 6 Lug X 7.25"

zero

I had quite a run around this week trying to get new tires on my Chinook before taking to Michigan. Note it has the 6 lug X 7.25" wheels and FF rear - like the bigger and newer Toyota RVs have. I had my own tire machine and balancer here along with new valves - but sold them both last week here in NY. So - I was once again subject to be at the mercy of a tire-shop. WHAT A FIASCO !! I called every tire place in the area and told them exactly what I needed. All I got back was nonsense. The Toyota rims made by TOPY of Japan need valves that are 3" long and fit a 9.7 mm hole in the rim. NOT a standard size in the USA. GOOD LUCK trying to explain that to a tire shop in central NY! Every place I called said they had "all valves" and to "come on down." And at every place, NONE had valves to fit.

Walmart was even worse. The head of the auto department in the Cobleskill Walmart (Schoharie Co. NY) insisted his standard rubber valves would work. I said "show me." I stood there and watched him break three valves before he gave up. He then wanted to charge me for them but I refused.

One place that specialized in trucks came up with a metric tire-valve made for 4-wheelers (ATVs). It would of fit but I did not like the way it fastened with two nuts INSIDE the rim.

Long story short - I had to order some TR-544 metric truck valves. Perfect fit and $1.90 each. They come straight but can be easily bent to the slight angle these wheels use (around 15 degrees). $1.90 each plus shipping if you buy just a few, or a $1.10 each if you buy a box of 100.

After I got the correct valves, I went back to Walmart to buy new 195/75-14" tires for $52 each. Then found out that have no way to balance them. Their computer does not have these rims in the database so they are lost without those esoteric specs.

post-6578-0-24981100-1430049734_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-59372900-1430049736_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-69095500-1430049737_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-64046000-1430049738_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-79316200-1430049739_thumb.jp

What did you use to bend them? I was thinking tubing bender but these seem short for that. I just got new tires. Was told the same thing. "We have truck stems". Turns out they didn't. I had no issues with the last tires only age. Would have liked to have gotten the valve stems replace though. Might order a set for "in case".

What did you use to bend them? I was thinking tubing bender but these seem short for that. I just got new tires. Was told the same thing. "We have truck stems". Turns out they didn't. I had no issues with the last tires only age. Would have liked to have gotten the valve stems replace though. Might order a set for "in case".

No tubing bender was needed. Just wedged a pry-bar in there after I installed the valve and bent it. It was easy.