In evaluating my new purchase the mechanic found the following: need for manifold gaskets, new shocks, new steering stabilizer, and catalytic converter. I have questions about his details and costs. First of all I have zero mechanical inclinations so someone else will have to do the work. I noticed a topic suggesting that getting the whole new exhaust manifold would eliminate bolt break off issues. Is that true. He mentioned that he might get in there and encounter some bolt problems. Is it true that getting the new exhaust manifold would either eliminate or greatly reduce some or all of the bolt issues. Is there alot more repair time if you do the new exhaust manifold versus just the gaskets? He quoted me 7.8 hours or $ 600 for that. He said Monroe shocks would be easier to replace if they broke down anywhere. I thought Bilstein shocks were the best. He said I could use a steering stablilizer I want the best not the cheapest and am a member of Camping World. Any brand recommendation? He said the catalytic converter was in such a shape that it might be relating to my power isssue. Is that a fact? I will need a new idler arm are some better than others or should I get that from Toyota where I am going to order exhaust manifold stuff. He knows about the load sensing proportion valve and seems to be a good mechanic so I guess he should be able to take that off. Would like feedback. Thanks Doug

Well, if he is a good mechanic, he is not charging good mechanic rate which would be around $100 a hour depending on where you live in the country. I don't know why the exhaust manifold, but do know that bolts break and can be a bear getting out. Click on the following link for information about the bolts: exhaust manifold bolts

As to the Bilsteins being the best, well the just might be - plus they can be rebuilt - plus they are warrantied for life. But they are very hard to find. If one breaks in Tim Buck Too, you could wait a week for a new one, unless you have access to internet and can get it overnighted. Monroe shocks are excellent and have a good warranty, but it is not for lifetime. Monroes can be found anywhere and are often available the next day if they are not in stock. I would not hesitate in putting the "best" monroe on my mh.

The catalytic converter could be at fault. There are places out there that have generic catalytic converters very reasonable. Get one of those rather than a OEM replacement. It will be just as good and much cheaper. What did he say about it?

Idler arm - Get a Moog. In fact, for any suspension parts, Moog is usually good. They are usually much heavier than OEM parts. They still put grease zerks on most of their stuff so you can grease them. Just make sure you do grease them and use the same grease from day one. Don't switch greases, as they will get hard and quit working.