Tow A Boat

dickie

I'm new to the site and I just bought my first rv. Its a 1985 Granville with a 4 cyl. I bought cause I do a lot of duck hunting and I was wondering if would do fine pulling my boat with everything loaded up to camp and hunt. The boat is a 16ft double wide jon with a 40hp. Thanks.

I would also agree, not recommended. When ever I see folks pulling or hauling stuff behind their ToyHomes, I think that they are asking for trouble (IMHO). A friend of mine 'occasionally' pulls a very small utility trailer behind his '90 Itasca (with a V6). He knows and runs the risks and asks me to keep my cel phone on, in case I need to come help him on the side of the road.

~Riverman77

I'm new to the site and I just bought my first rv. Its a 1985 Granville with a 4 cyl. I bought cause I do a lot of duck hunting and I was wondering if would do fine pulling my boat with everything loaded up to camp and hunt. The boat is a 16ft double wide jon with a 40hp. Thanks.

I'd do it if the driving was all flat and speeds not very fast. That's assuming the hitch was made well. The guy I got my 1988 Minicruiser from towed a 14' boat all over northern Michigan with it. Boat, 30 horse motor, and trailer combo probably weighed 900 lbs. Any hills, or high speed highway driving, or very bumpy roads and I would NOT do it. In my opinion the BIG issue is the tongue weight. I have a 14' ChrisCraft here in Michigan and towed it 60 miles with my 1988 Minicruiser. All flat roads and speeds no faster then 50 MPH. I could not even feel it behind me.

I see it like this. The shorter Toyota Chinooks (1975-1978) with smaller engines and smaller brakes were allowed to weigh 4600 lbs. (just the RV) and pull a 1000 lb. trailer. Max trailer-tongue weight of 150 lbs.

What does your rig weigh? If your's weight is in that ball park - I suspect the main issue why trailer towing was never recommended for the newer and bigger and higher Toyota RVs is the long distance between the ends of the OEM Toyota frame-rails and where the tow-hitch winds up being. A 21 footer already has a lot of steel extensions going way past the rear axle. It would be difficult to construct a good hitch extension to even sustain the 150 lb. tongue rating the Chinooks have - but it can be done. Adds a lot of weight though. The other issue is braking. If your 21 footer is real heavy at near the GVWR - the brakes are not designed to handle any more and most small boat trailers rarely have electric brakes.

Also - what do you have for a rear end and tire setup? If you've got a 5 lug semi-floater with aftermarket bad-offset duallies - I would never consider towing. Not unless you put some single wheels on there OR a full-floater rear.

I don't know what my wooden 14" Chriscraft weights. I DO know what my fiberglass 14 footer weighs.

1969 Glastron V142, 14', 405 lbs. empty, and 495 with gas and battery.

Trailer - 430 lbs.

Yamaha 25 horse outboard - 111 lbs.

Total weight of boat and trailer and motor -1,036 lbs.

I tow my 22' 110 pound double sea kayak ( often with 200 pounds of gear in it)on a very light kayak trailer with my 18' Sunrader which has a 4 cylinder with turbo. Bumper is solid. Braking is my only worry. I drive very cautiously. I would not pull more than 500 lbs and hopefully you are experienced with years of towing? Give yourself plenty of braking room!! Take your time