In Need Of An Inside Rear Wheel For My 1984 Toyota Dolphin

RavenWi

Our inside left wheel, driver's side, apparently cracked during the previous owner's period. It appears they tried to weld in, but it still slowly leaks. I tried an inner-tube in it, which worked for awhile, but the weld wore a hole in it. Would love to find a replacement wheel for it. Can you help? It is a 5-lug version with 185R14C tires mounted on it. Thanks for your time. My wife uses this motorhome for her annual Silver-Salmon fishing venture to Valdez, Alaska.

Thanks for posting here. I have an idea but I wanted it to be on the site in case I'm wrong. I do believe the inside wheel is just a regular Toyota wheel with bolt holes to attach to the outer dually. Pull the bad wheel off and take them apart to see. Inside wheel should look like this one if I'm right

http://www.wheelstiresandmore.com/images/Product/medium/23264.jpg

A good wheel place should be able to drill new bolt holes so you can attach your extreme offset dually to the outside. If I'm wrong plenty of people here will tell you so no mistakes are made

Linda S

I was expecting more feedback than this but a used Toyota wheel from a salvage yard can be had for very little. Worth a try to get one just to compare and see if what I suggested can be done. There are a couple of people here who have upgraded their axle recently but even if they still had the wheels shipping to Alaska would be expensive

Linda S

Our inside left wheel, driver's side, apparently cracked during the previous owner's period. It appears they tried to weld in, but it still slowly leaks. I tried an inter-tube in it, which worked for awhile, but the weld wore a hole in it. Would love to find a replacement wheel for it. Can you help? It is a 5-lug version with 185R14C tires mounted on it. Thanks for your time. My wife uses this motorhome for her annual Silver-Salmon fishing venture to Valdez, Alaska.

Can you post a photo of your dually setup? Many of the Toyota RVs with the 5 lug dual wheels in back used Ford Ranger 14" rims. Very common. Ford Ranger and Toyota use the same bolt-pattern. You need to check your wheel offset.

post-6578-0-24665700-1407754887_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-85929400-1407754888_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-66914800-1407754889_thumb.jp

I was expecting more feedback than this ...

Well, the obvious 'elephant in the room' is the Axle Recall that hasn't been done yet. :(

A picture of what's being tried to be patched up would be very helpful.

I'm not sure why the original welded wheel can't be made to work. If the weld wore through the inner tube it must be one butt ugly weld but I'd have thought that a little work with a grinder would solve that particular problem.

On 2014-08-11 at 7:01 AM, jdemaris said:

Can you post a photo of your dually setup? Many of the Toyota RVs with the 5 lug dual wheels in back used Ford Ranger 14" rims. Very common. Ford Ranger and Toyota use the same bolt-pattern. You need to check your wheel offset.

I don't know about 'many' or Dolphin specifically, but Huntsman used 'foolies' built around Ford rims which led to this 1985 Recall (well before the better known Axle Recall):-

https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/1982/HUNTSMAN/HUNTSMAN

"INCORRECT REAR DUAL WHEELS MAY HAVE BEEN INSTALLED MAKING THE WHEELS SUBJECT TO CRACK."

Sounds familiar. I'm not sure why this problem only led to Huntsman (that I've found, anyway) being recalled.