Need help with Water Heater and Heater

I tried to start the pilot light for the water heater, but could not detect any LP gas comming out of the line (I turned the red know and pushed the pressed the red button). The fridge and stove work fine, but there seems to be no gas comming out to the water heater when I press the pilot light switch to try to light it up. I checked the lines...they look ok. How do I check to make sure that the water heater is in working condition?

Also, I'm not sure how the heater works. I turned the thermostat all the way up. It did not get warm, as I could only feel the air from the heater fan. Does the heater work off of the LP gas or 12V, or 120V?

post-1151-1191141514_thumb.jpg

post-1151-1191141548_thumb.jpg

Hi

I'am not an expert on these matters, however, I would check to see if you have sufficient fuel in your tank, and that all propane tank fuel valves are opened fully, up to and including the heater and furnace.

In both cases (the hot water tank and the forced air heater) the start up and operation of these devices are not producing heat, my first impression is that there is no fuel flowing to these appliances.

In the case of the hot water tank, you normally depress and hold the gas valve in (when it is positioned in the "pilot" mode) and then light the pilot light; if the pilot light ignites and a small blue flame appears, keep depressing the gas valve for approximately 30 to 45 secounds, and then release the gas valve. If the pilot light stays on then move the gas valve to the "on" position and the system should go into action, with the burner starting to heat the water in the tank.

If, when you "release" the gas valve in the pilot position and the pilot goes out, then the chances are that the thermopile coupler is not functioning. This is the safety device, that prevents propane fuel from flowing into the combustion chamber and eventually exploding.

This is a standard device on many appliances (refrigerators, furnances, stoves and hot water heaters) and is relatively easy to replace, however, there may be a requirement in your state law that you are not licensed to work on these appliances or your vehicle insurer might not insure your vehicle if you have worked on it, something for you to check into for your own piece of mind.

With the furnace, usually there is no requirement for you to "start" anything, there is an electric ignitor with a safety device to ensure that the pilot light started and stayed on, and after a short wait the furnace should start up and begin to produce heat. Again, if the pilot fails to stay on, the electrical circuit will prevent the flow of fuel into the combustion chamber. My guess on the furnance is that all of the devices are powered by 12 volts, and when the AC (120 volt) power is plugged in there is a 120 volt AC to 12 volt DC convertor that supplies the DC voltage to all of the furnace electrics. That way there is no need to use paralell electrical circuits when using different power services.

Hope this helps

regards

Brian

• 2 months later...

Hallo I am Hans from Amsterdam, and I read the problems, I think you have already solve the problems, and this already a while ago, but I want to say in generally , that the heatwater and heatingsystems of this campers are not of tis time anymore, they are often rusty and old, some over the 20 years, even they are dangerous, also the taps getting older and weaker, but this is not concern for every camper of course, some campers are still perfect, after so many years, they stay maybe inside all the time, that is the difference, I think. My Toyota Mini-Cruise from 1981 stands for 25 years outside, I think, and in Holland is there much rain, so had a lot of problems, I took the heaterssysteens and taps completly out and you have nowedays compact heaterboiler ( o.a truma) 12v and elecrtric and there is a inbuiltheater , you can make on the place where you the heater get out under the seat (Carver-1,5 amp.120 volt), and the space and opening, I get the heatwaterboiler get out, I use for the jack and stuff, for I have a flat tyre, so maybe, someone I could hel[p with these problems, because you have no rest with sleeping and sitting in your camper, when the heaters are not save, greeting from Hans

• 4 weeks later...

I have the exact same issues; my stovetop works fine so I know there's fuel going to that side of the MH. But no matter how long I depress the button the water heater will not produce a pilot light. I've even duct-taped it down for a half-hour at a time with the gas valve all the way open at the tank. Stilll, no flame will light (I have used several books of matches)

RE: my heater I am confused about it too - I see no controls at all.

I have the exact same issues; my stovetop works fine so I know there's fuel going to that side of the MH. But no matter how long I depress the button the water heater will not produce a pilot light. I've even duct-taped it down for a half-hour at a time with the gas valve all the way open at the tank. Stilll, no flame will light (I have used several books of matches)

RE: my heater I am confused about it too - I see no controls at all.