Installing Two Fantastic Fans In 1985 Dolphin: Need Help Regarding Wiring

stevlars

I removed the roof A/C from my 1985 Dolphin and am ready to install a 3-speed Fantastic Fan in the A/C hole as well as replace the middle non-electrical vent with a Fantastic Fan. I think I'm clear on the basic install, but I would like advice on what to do regarding wiring the fans to 12v. There are light fixtures near both holes, so I could wire from the light fixtures. Do I run wire externally along the ceiling or is there a trick to doing it concealed? (I'm fine with both) Additionally, would it make sense for me to use the existing wiring (110v) that powered the A/C? I suppose I could disconnect it from the electrical box and hook it up to the battery. Anyone dealt with these things before? I appreciate any advice. Thanks!

Using the 110v wires is a common fix. On the other vent remove the close by light and push a straightened coat hanger to the vent. You can use it to pull new wires from the vent to the 12v light.

Using the 110v wires is a common fix. On the other vent remove the close by light and push a straightened coat hanger to the vent. You can use it to pull new wires from the vent to the 12v light.

Thanks! I'll try the coat hanger.

My Dolphin has a 2 tube florescent fixture in the middle of the ceiling. After removing it I drilled tru the wood to the side of the removed vent to run the 12VDC. I also installed a slide switch in the fixture to kill the power to the fan. I fuse and switch everything, no parasitic current drain and a kill switch when you have to work on it.

Using the 12 gauge wires that were formally for AC works fine. Another way to do it is get plastic wire-molding covers from Home Depot. Lowes, etc. and run new wires across the ceiling. You can get covers with colors to match and they look fine (to my standards). I needed to run 10 gauge wire across my ceiling to power other things besides one fan. Power-booster for the CB radio is a big power draw, along with a scanner and a 2 meter mobile transceiver. The original AC wires that powered the roof-top AC in my Minicruiser also were in wire-mold, and not inside the ceiling.

I pulled my A/C and did use the existing wire for my power. I disconnected the wire at the 120 volt distribution panel and rehooked it to the 12 volt panel.

Several people here have disconnected the wire from the junction box in the cabinet and hooked it up to 12 volt to the power the fan and then used the supply 120 volt wires to add an outlet in the cabinet. For them, it was a double win.

Using the 12 gauge wires that were formally for AC works fine. Another way to do it is get plastic wire-molding covers from Home Depot. Lowes, etc. and run new wires across the ceiling. You can get covers with colors to match and they look fine (to my standards). I needed to run 10 gauge wire across my ceiling to power other things besides one fan. Power-booster for the CB radio is a big power draw, along with a scanner and a 2 meter mobile transceiver. The original AC wires that powered the roof-top AC in my Minicruiser also were in wire-mold, and not inside the ceiling.

Thanks for the info.

I pulled my A/C and did use the existing wire for my power. I disconnected the wire at the 120 volt distribution panel and rehooked it to the 12 volt panel.

Several people here have disconnected the wire from the junction box in the cabinet and hooked it up to 12 volt to the power the fan and then used the supply 120 volt wires to add an outlet in the cabinet. For them, it was a double win.

Thanks for the info.