Legal Issues Trucking Propane Cylinders?

zero

I've heard rumors for years about legal issues when carrying propane cylinders - like in the back of a truck. The standard story here in NY is that a 100 lb. tank is the limit. I've searched around a little and so far found nothing saying carrying bigger tanks is illegal for a person with no special permit or license.

I'm loading up a 27 foot box truck with a 30 foot trailer behind it and taking a load of stuff from central New York to northern Michigan. I have two 100 lbs. vertical tanks (both full), a vertical 500 lb. tank (120 gallon and full), and a mess of RV tanks. Vertical and horizontal including two full 60 lb. horizontal tanks made to be bolted into an RV.

Note this will be all US driving. I would not ever consider trying to drag anything "questionable" through Canada although the Canada route is 100 miles shorter for me. I'm not allowed there anyway - even without stuff. I tried to tow a Toyota Chinook and a farm tractor through Canada once and it got very complicated. In fact - I cannot even rent a truck in Canada and drive to the USA. I found that out the hard-way. I was stuck in London Ontario with a dead camper and wanted to rent a truck to get it back to the USA. NOPE.

Also perhaps ask a local Firefighter what kind of warning they'd like if they were responding to your vehicle being involved in an accident.

My son's a Volunteer Firefighter. For his sake, I'd appreciate lots of warning!

It's a moot point now. I contacted the propane dealer in northern Michigan about me bringing my own tanks. He won't fill them unless I can provide proof I own them. I know no way of doing that. It's not like I got a title with the tanks. I bought my 120 gallon tank for $450 a few years ago and did not save the receipt. Paid $960 for a new 500 gallon tank and have no proof of that either. At the time - I didn't think I needed proof. Kind of like pulling into a gas station and they won't sell you gas unless you show them your motor-vehicle title? Here in NY it has never been an issue other then swearing I own the tanks. So now - seems I will try to sell them locally and just buy new tanks in Michigan. By the way - that 120 gallon tank when full weighs over 500 pounds. I think even to just move it - I'd have to get it pumped out.

Hey Derek - aren't you in Canada? If so - you nor your son have to worry about me coming through. I am no longer allowed anywhere in Canada unless I pay a cash ransom they call a "waiver." No thanks. I now stay in the USA and travel to MI via NY, PA, and Ohio. 120 miles longer but more friendly towards me and family.

120 miles? That's only 2 hours longer and you'll probably save $$$ on fuel costs.

I know it won't make you feel any better, but there are also loads of Canadians who probably feel the same way about not being allowed into the US.

Ends up the US route is almost as fast. When we traveled via Canada we took our time and drove a lot of back country and farm land. Saw some oddball crops. Maybe tobacco? Route # 2 I think along the bottom of Ontario.

And yes - the US does it probably just as much to the Canadians. My beef was - I'd been crossing the border 6-8 times a year for 15 years. They claimed their records were showing I'd never been to Canada before which was very incorrect. Later on the Canadian Consulate by Niagara Falls verified that I was correct and the border guards were wrong.

Oh well. I heard on the news last year that an Ontario resident had won the "contest of his dreams." A paid trip to the USA and the Super Bowl with deluxe accomodations. When he tried to cross the border into the USA - they stopped him and sent him back. He had a minor arrest record from 30 years previous and that was that. As I recall this guy was an working attorney -or whatever you Canadians call them. Barrister or solicitor in Great Britain. Not sure about Canada since you guys retain some French and British culture.

I don't mind being prevented from passing through Canada. What I mind is this. Previously I spoke with border officials and discussed my arrest record from my teenage years. We're talking minor offenses ca. 1969, 1971. Nothing illegal since. I was informed it was a "non-issue" and I was - and I quote . . a "vintage criminal." OK. Me, my wife and 8 year old boy all had the equivalent of passports (NY Enhanced IDs). Then we passed through Canada many times for a few years. All of a sudden on one trip - they grabbed me, took me away from my family and locked me up. Acted like I was some sort of terrorist. After I told them my story about all previous OKs and all the previous times I'd entered Canada -the young border cop (looked like he was fresh out of high school) claimed I was lying and I"d never been in Canada before. I think he goofed reading the computer screen and then tried to save face. My wife got her Masters degree in Canada (University of Ontario). I worked in Québec many times over the course of 30 years. Neither of us are exactly strangers to your country. My uncle fought for the Canadian army in WWI. My grandmother was born in Nicolet and my grandfather was born in Saint-François-du-Lac. My distant grandmother was even a famous female "hero" in the Canadian history books. That's unusual for a woman to get acclaim in older histories. It's usually the men who get all the glory. Seems like she was ONE tough babe and went through a lot of husbands while she led people out of Nova Scotia and into Nicolet. That too was unusual. Frenchies fleeing New Scotland often went to Louisiana and became "Cajuns." They weren’t well liked by most of their fellow Canadians. Not according to Canadian history.

Here's the story about my many-gs-grandma.

Having escaped the massive and cruel deportation of 1755 [see CharlesLawrence*], Cécile Boudreau, her husband, and her children joined about 200 Acadian families who scattered into the woods bordering the Memramcook, Shepody, and Petitcodiac rivers (N. B.). Fortunately these families were able to count on the aid of missionary François Le Guerne* and of Charles Deschamps*de Boishébert, a captain in the colonial regular troops. The two men worked together to ensure the survival of the Acadians, provide for their sustenance, and organize their resistance to the British.

Foreseeing the second phase of the expulsion, which would be carried out in 1758 [see Robert Monckton*] any of the families, including Cécile Boudreau’s, moved up the coast to Miramichi in 1757. They were exhausted, and suffered from starvation as a result of poor crops and from epidemics. Several of them then resigned themselves to following Boishébert’s troops, which had been recalled to Québec for the winter of 175758.

The situation at Quebec seemed little brighter. There was a dearth of supplies and a severe famine. The Acadians had to make do with cod and rotten meat. According to the testimony of several persons, these poor living conditions brought about the death of a number of Acadians. On 9 June 1758, amid the general gloom and inactivity, Cécile Boudreau had to bury her husband, who had fallen victim to the smallpox epidemic raging at the time. A month earlier she had done the same for her son Jean, barely eight years of age, and four days after her husband’s interment she buried one of her daughters.

It was for such reasons that the Acadian refugees then sought to flee Quebec. Some joined Le Guerne, who had become parish priest of Saint-François, on Île d’Orléans. Others settled in the Beauce or in the regions of Saint-Joachim and Bellechasse. In 1758 a large number went to Saint-Grégoire (Bécancour); others, including Cécile Boudreau’s family, chose Nicolet. This locality, which their missionaries and the Abenakis had drawn to their attention, turned out to be a good place for a settlement. It was situated near the St Lawrence, which gave access to the gulf and to Acadia, where everyone hoped to live once again. The region offered an abundance of woods and lakes that enabled them to ensure their subsistence; moreover it was remote and tranquillity was easily found.

When along with other Pitres and Boudreaus, Orillon-Champagnes, Gaudets, Laurts, Melançons, Bastaraches, Commeaus, and Rouisse-Languedocs, Cécile Boudreau arrived in this new setting to find fresh hope and take root, she still had five children with her; one of them, François, would receive a commission later as captain in the militia. She married Pierre Pellerin in 1762 and was widowed 30 years later. She apparently reached the age of 97, still strong, lucid, and courageous. An unfortunate fall then forced her to take to her bed. After 18 days during which she was willing to drink “only a little water and two shots of rum,” she died.

A long way from Nicolet the Quebec Gazette, a major paper of the province, printed a paragraph about this strong and incomparable woman which formed a longer and better tribute than any cold tombstone could offer. It told of the circumstances of her death and concluded: “This venerable Acadian constantly retained all her mental faculties with remarkable freshness and good health until the accident which brought her to the grave.”