Did you mean to say "air bags and air shocks" or 'air bags and shocks?" I ask because if the latter - one has little to do with the other. Two different devices with two different jobs. Shocks (dampeners) are always supposed to be there whether air-bags/springs are used or not. Shocks are there to absorb impulses from dips, dives, and bumps in the road. Air-bags (if used) are to increase weight carrying capacity.

Mine has both air-bags and air-shocks.

post-6578-0-60696500-1405805618_thumb.jp

Yes All Sunraders after 1985 came with air suspension standard and shocks. One does not replace the other. Both work well together though to give stability and better ride on such a small chassis carrying so much weight.

Linda S

Mine came with air bags but they are blown out probably from being run flat. I don't think the previous owner knew they were there. Is it worth replacing them? The manual for them said that they do not increase load capacity, just increase stability.

The manual for them said that they do not increase load capacity, just increase stability.

Not at all surprising to see that in the manual. Perfect protection against someone with a Toyota with a GVWR of 6000lb who adds a set of 5000lb air springs and suddenly thinks he can safely load it up to 11000lb. All the air springs will do is add extra capacity to the leaf springs. But what if the weak link is the front brakes? Or the rear brakes? Or the transmission? Or the frame?

My personal theory as to why the GVWR is set at 6000lb and not 6500lb or 7000lb? Well, vehicles with a GVWR over 6000lb start running into restrictions as to where they can legally drive. Not many, granted, but enough that they couldn't say to buyers "You can drive it anywhere."

Mine came with air bags but they are blown out probably from being run flat. I don't think the previous owner knew they were there. Is it worth replacing them? The manual for them said that they do not increase load capacity, just increase stability.

Since we have seen many owners have to replace completely shot leaf springs I would say the air bags at least increase the life span of those springs. My springs are still smiling nicely and showing no sign of wear

Linda S

And I thought you were happy with your KYBs. :) For less $$$. :) :)

Yes mine came with KYB's but I have no idea when they were installed or how old they are. After 10 years I have recently noticed they are not what they used to be. Time to start thinking about replacement. It could take me years to think about it though so I had better start now

Linda S

I assume the manual is stating that the air-bags do not increase the certified GVW. If you have tired leaf springs - the air bags certainly increase the ability of a 5000-6000 lb. Toyota minitruck to handle weight better. I don't think anybody ever made leaf springs OEM for those trucks that didn't suffer under the constant load of the RV added. Same goes for the hardware attaching the leaf springs to the frame. The air-bags support the vehicle without using that hardware.