Alternator Wiring Hack: '83 Dolphin

vincevs21

New to the forum here...

I have a 1983 Toyota with a Dolphin motorhome with a 22R and I am trying to fix up the wiring. I have most of it sorted but I am hoping someone has a photo of how the alternator wiring was supposed to be hooked up.

Current setup:

• There are 3 wires down by the alternator that have all been cut (blue green and black)
  • There is a piece of what looks like extension cord of the same colours run back up towards the body battery
  • The extension cord wires are cut into a 6 pin white to green connector using 3 of the wires on the white side and the other 3 wires on the white side are cut (I will have to take a better photo for the exact colours). The 6 wires on the green side all go into the main harness.

Could anyone send me a photo of how this is was originally connected or if anyone knows if this setup will work better running a wire directly from the alternator to the battery. Please see attached photos below. I will get a better photo of the white/green connector showing the colours tomorrow.

Thanks in advance!

Vince

post-7831-0-25924900-1403620749_thumb.jp

post-7831-0-41810200-1403620753_thumb.jp

You are definitely right about a "hack". If I was standing right in front of it I could probably tell you whats wrong. Once upon a time it had 4 connections 2 were white they had power all the time one large one connected to "B" (connected to battery) and a small one on "S". There was a yellow one connected to "L" that was for the charge light. And the last was red that had power when the key was on. Now if it's old enough there may have been an external regulator involved in that case white to "B" (connected to the battery) green to"F" and black to ground. Your worst nightmare is going to be finding the cut off truck wiring. I hate to say it but it probably was cut up because of a blown fuse there are two in that circuit.

I will take some better photos and hopefully it will be like you are standing with me...

Do you know of a part number for the replacement harness section or is this a "later" alternator that was modified for highter output?

It looks like this now has only 3 connection spades on the back of the alternator. I will try and look for a part number on it.

Edited by vincevs21

That is possible "B"+ "L" and Ign the 4th would be "B" + under a 10MM nut that goes directly back to the battery.

So if I replace the bad wiring in the same configuration am I good to go?

I wouldn't mind replacing this with a new alternator as the output is not great...

Do you have a part number to replace this alternator and a proper female plug harness end?

Based on what I have read I think this was done correctly...

• L: Green to white through connector to yellow in harness
  • IG: Yellow to yellow through connector to red in harness
  • S: Black to red through connector to white in harness
  • Stud: Heavy gauge tan wire through harness to battery

Trying to determine if I should replace the stock heavy gauge wire to the battery with something larger.

Does anyone know the amps of this replaced alternator based on the photos?