Living Full Time In Your Motorhome

That is awesome, Corbin and I apologize if I misread your post. I've seen a lot of blogs and posts from women of various ages who are being real adventurers in their RVs- not using them like mobile homes in dedicated RV parks. I intend to be one of them.

I've done my share of woodworking, mechanical, and other projects but I don't think I'll be nearly as precise or dedicated to it as you are! I was researching honeycomb yesterday for building a desk, but I don't know if I want to get that involved. I tend to go more towards retrofitting or modding already built materials that I can source cheaply. If I can buy or modify something I already have I will probably do that rather than build from scratch. It's been fun and sometimes exasperating to try to find things of the right weight and exacting dimensions for such a small space. I'm still working and my kids are grown, so for the first time in 20 odd years, my income is my own. I can't imagine how it feels to be robbed of a retirement income you've worked all your life to build. I'm sorry that happened to you.

I will be getting help for the roof rebuilding project and electrical work. Those are two things I don't wish to tackle on my own. I intend to do the rest myself.

I love the arts and crafts design style as well, I think it's great you're doing taking that on! May I ask what your blog address is so I can keep up with what you're doing?

Anthony,

I just went thru your blogs. Thanks for all interesting info. You could make a very good EE or ME as well but nothing wrong pursuing your current major. You are living the dream. I wish I did what you are doing now when I first graduated from college. Good luck with everything and if you ever wander into Northern Calif. territories, give me a headup.

I'll definitely be in California here soon, thanks a lot!

I mean adventure as in something different every day. Adventure doesn't have to mean exploring the wilderness or being in a new country every day. Sure, that's one meaning of adventure, and one I happen to love as well. But living in an RV as opposed to living in a house? Having to deal with new experiences you wouldn't find in a "normal" living situation. An ever changing landscape and surroundings. To me, that's an adventure. Another reason I choose to live on the street and not an RV park, storage, or any other more permanent space in the RV. The concept of not being tied down or attatched. Sure, I may have my comforts contained in the RV, but not the comforts of a stationary residence. Anything can happen, and at any moment, I can be somewhere else if I want and, as I mentioned before, living here is temporary, and I don't really care for RV parks.

Now, if I were actually going to go on an "adventure" like vast explorations, my RV would be parked at a friends house somewhere and I'd pack a bag and take off. Most of my trips and camping still consists of me and my pickup truck heading somewhere, then sleeping in a tent, or not in the woods or on the beach...not with my RV.

Either way, everyone sees the world differently, and maybe someone living in a mobile home in a RV park is their idea of adventure, even if it's not yours or mine.

I think it's ok if different people define words slightly differently.

Merriam-Webster:

a : an undertaking usually involving danger and unknown risks
b : the encountering of risks <the spirit of adventure>
: an exciting or remarkable experience <an adventure in exotic dining>
I think a guy could make the argument that moving into an RV and living "on the streets" qualifies.
Whether or not it lives up to your own personal definition of adventure is a different thing, and doesn't need to come into the equation.

It's all relative! And subjective.

What's "risk"?

"the possibility that something bad or unpleasant (such as an injury or a loss) will happen

: someone or something that may cause something bad or unpleasant to happen

: a person or thing that someone judges to be a good or bad choice for insurance, a loan, etc.

I see your point. I'm just saying...my last 3 months have been a lot more on the "adventure" side of life than when I was living in a house in town. I had a good conversation the other night about comfort zones. Let's just say that the beginning of adventure is getting out of your comfort zone. An adventure for a shy, self conscious person might be getting out on the dance floor when a band is playing. To them, there is a real risk of being judged, laughed at etc. But if they get out and do it, it might really change them.

I don't think we need to limit "adventure" to extreme things.

One person's adventure might be another's day job. Doesn't mean the one doing it for a day job should disregard the other's experience and call it mundane, or underestimate the effects it can have.

My times working for the Forest Service getting flown low through steep river canyons in a helicopter with the doors off, dropped off in the middle of a wide creek to jump out and start digging line for a forest fire were definitely adventures for me. For the pilot and the career fire fighters? Not so much...

• 2 weeks later...

Ha ha...wow! This topic really got deep! I love all the insight and input on everyone's idea of adventure. Awesome! Meanwhile, my life of variety, risk, and adventure continues!

Broken alternator belt has put my home out of commosion temporarily...something new, problem solving, where will I sleep when my motorhome is in the shop? Adventure!

Edited by Incurable Wanderlust

Belt? Learn how to fix it. This is basic auto mechanics, easier than changing your oil.

I mean there's no requirement that you learn how to do this, but you'll save a lot of money doing the extremely simple stuff yourself. Even replacing the actual alternator is very basic.

If you're going to do a ton of traveling, you'll either need a lot of money, or some mechanical skills to fix things as they come up. Because they will...

I have been living in my Toyota MH since 2008. I travel a lot, usually a few weeks or maybe a couple months in this area or that of the USA. 4 months is the most in any one spot. National forests are wicked cheap, plus I have lots of friends who enjoy having me park with them, then there is BLM land out West. I am retired, so not in the same situation as you. Plus I have solar and that increases my options. Not sure what other information you are looking for, feel free to contact me for specific answers. Oh, as for my daily Yoga......I use the grass or a nearby picnic table in a public park.