:help: Guys - tomorrow I will be replacing the exhaust manifold gasket. I purchased new nuts from Toyota. 2 of the post bolts are out of the block, threads stripped. I purchased 2 bolts at Advanced Auto. I have a hela-core set to replace these two bolts. Is there anything extra from your experiences I need to do. Do I need locktight? Is there a secret to drilling and tapping before the bolts are ready to be installed? Is there a time period that it needs to set before I can continue the install? What is the Torque # I need for these nuts and bolts? Any and all help is much appreciated. KP ('86 Dolphin 22re fi engine) :help:

First thing is they don't go into the block they go into the aluminum head, they probably are not stripped, they are put in with a sealant and when they come out they are loose screwing in. When you put the new ones in they should be put in with Locktite high temp, I used #640 red tube but there are others. I just did this but I replaced all of them because I put on a new head. I just snugged them in tight into the head the nut 33# per service Manual.

The 2 bolt holes will not grip the threads of the new bolts. Are they supposed to screw in? In one of the holes when the bolt is pulled out, there is what appears to be "shavings" maybe from the old threads. Do I need to tap and re-thread and insert the heli-core? that is what I was told at the autoparts store. Anything speacial about the valve cover gasket? How about a manual . . . Chiltons do? KP ('86 Dolphin 22re fi)

They screw into the head, but when installed with the Locktite they suppose to stay and only the nuts come of. 2 of mine unscrewed but the threads were not damaged, I don't know about helicoils. The valve cover is only held on by 4 bolts and 4 rubber bushing washers, the gasket is rubber should be reusable.

Thanks - Hopefully we will be running by noon on Saturday. I will go ahead and tap and thread the 2 holes but will also use locktight. The gasket itself should be the easy part. The valve cover gasket will be replaced but I was only assuming about the 4 bolts - thanks for that info. What service manual would you reccommend - I have no books or paperwork for this engine. Thanks KP ('86 Dolphin 22re fi 4 cyl)

I did forget one of the bolts in mine had been drilled out and tapped with a larger bolt. I was lucky I bought the Factory service manual off ebay. $35 but well worth it.