How Many WATTS?

thepager5

I am looking to purchase an inverter. I will need to power a microwave and possibly a hairdryer/curling iron etc. What will be a good size? Is it better to be direct hookup or just in the 12V outlet?

Thanks, KP

How many watts does the microwave and hairdryer use? Are you going to use both of them at same time?

Usually on start up, there is a surge which would require more wattage. The hairdryer/curling iron will really draw and I would not be surprised that they are higher than the mircowave. The 800 watt should be good for the mircowave, but you better check wattage on the other things. Find similiar product in store and check the box or instructions for specs.

Microwave says 400W and I am not sure of the hairdryer/curling iron. Do not think all will be used at same time. I have been looking at 800 Watt. Do you think this will be good enough? kp

Microwaves draw more than their advertised wattage. A 600 watt may draw 800 watts. It's because of their efficiency which is not 100%. Check the tag on the unit. The pricing sweet spot for inverters appears to be around 1,000-1,200 watts steady state draw for the less expensive ones. Price should be around $80-90 on a sale. I bought my 1,000 watt one at Costco. Harbor Freight recently had a 1,200 watt for about $80-90. Don't worry about the larger size. They only draw the amount of current of your appliance you have plugged in. I can run my microwave using a size 29 coach battery without the engine running.

No, you can not plug these larger ones in to a cigarette lighter socket. They have to be hard wired. 1,200 watts is drawing over 100 amps. You need starter cable wire like what hooks to your battery and you should not go over five feet in length from battery to inverter. You have to hook it to your battery or else you will fry your vehicle wiring. #4 AWG is required for a 1,000 watts. Mount the inverter in a well ventilated place. You can run long lengths of extension cord from the 110 volt inverter outlet. Place it where you can shut it off when not in use.

You can buy a 12 volt hair dryer for about $12-15. They use about 160 watts. They also have a 12 volt curling iron.

• 4 weeks later...

Watts = voltage x amps.

Add up the amperage of the desired appliances to be operated togather at any time and multiply by 120 (volts) to get the wattage. New appliance lables usually will give you the wattage.

For instance, a 600 watt microwave + a 1200 watt hair dryer = 1800 watts total / 120 volts = 15 amps, the full capacity of a 14 gauge wire circuit.

What causes problems are hair dryers, curling irons, and electric cooking appliances like fry pans, etc., which all draw a lot of current. Inverters are good for low amperage uses like electronics which consume very litttle current, but it's easy to overload them.