Any Problems using a BBQ tank in the RV

bufbooth

Hello, is there any problems / issues on using a BBQ type propane tank in the RV?

When I purchased my 1990 RV last year it had the original 30 pound tank that was

made to sit horizontal, but I could not get it refilled due to it's age (over 10 years),

so I had a brand new 20 pound BBQ tank that would normal sit vertical and decided

to use that. I currently do not have any problems with it, but is there any safety

issues with using a BBQ type tank?

Dennis...

Dennis The new tanks have the newfangeled "overfill protection device". Furthermore, you have to operate it vertical. Any other orientation is "verboten". So it is OK to drive around with the regular tank horizontal, as long as the supply valve is closed and you are not using any gas. When you get to your destination, you take it out, set it on the ground (vertical) and you are in business.

From what I have heard, using a vertical tank in the wrong orientation can cause liquid propane to get through the regulator, which can then result in out of control pressures downstream of the regulator than can be very dangerous. The horizontal tank is properly configured to draw gas safely above the surface of the liquid. This will not be the case with a vertical tank on its side.

There should really be no problem with the original horizontal tank unless it is rusted or something is damaged. The original valve can be replaced if required (leaks) and it is a lot cheaper than a new horizontal tank. I was "rejected" by several filling stations who didn't know the law as it applies to older horizontal tanks, but I found a few filling stations that know their stuff and soon had me on my way.

Thanks for the information on the horizontal tank, I had a gut feeling they were still legal, but

did not have enough information to make the argument. I still have the 30lb horizontal tank

in my shed, it even has a nice fuel level gauge and the triangle mountings (will not roll), and

even some gas still in it. I had removed it from the motorhome and took it over in my car

to a rental type place and when they refused to fill it I even stated it was for a motorhome.

It is in great condition, I will either take it to another location or find some written information on it

to present.

Also, should I have no problem getting it filled at a RV park or a Flying J/Pilot truck stop, since

they deal will RVs on a daily basis?

Thanks,

Dennis...

I just found this, I am assuming it is correct...

Dennis...

Q: I have a horizontal cylinder on my recreational vehicle. Are OPD's available for that kind of service? :

A: The 2001 edition of NFPA 58 (the LP-Gas Code) recognizes that horizontally oriented cylinders that were manufactured prior to October 1, 1998, are unable to be retrofitted with the OPD's. As a result of this fact, the Code now exempts these cylinders from having to be retrofit with OPD valves. Any such cylinder must have a label affixed to it to inform the user and the refiller that an OPD valve is not installed.

tank and cylinder are two different things! I believe when you say "BBQ type propane tank" that, in reality, you are talking about a cylinder?

The only problem with the horizontal tanks are the chassis mounted ones. The ones mounted to the bottom of the frame can rot out on the bottom. Yours sounds like my Dolphin which was removable from a side compartment.

I carry a spare vertical 20# bbq tank for extended boon docking in the winter. With the Dolphin it was easy. Just disconnect the MH one and connect to the BBQ tank sitting vertically on the ground. For my 90 Winnebago, I installed a fitting kit that lets you hook either a spare outside tank or use the motor home one for gas appliances outside. They are made by either Marshal Brass http://www.marshallbrass.com/rv.htm or Century http://www.centurycamping.com/accessories/propane/

I am only going to confuse things by telling you this but thought I would offer it anyway for what it is worth. Actually it is quite valuable information. Offered this in another thread.

"My understanding is that tanks are one thing and cylinders are another thing. But my over 20 years dealing with petroleum did not include any propane deliveries. Am just trying to figure out what is what, cause I thought the old style "tanks" were exempt and you could still fill them.

Think I found it. DOT Cylinders are for travel trailers and truck campers and must be mounted vertically. ASME Tanks are for motorhomes and must be mounted horizonally "

• 2 months later...

The hazard is probably not the tank so much as the fact that it's inside where vapors can be ignited in the event of leakage or activation of the relief valve, which is why all tanks are mounted outside or under the vehicle when manufactured. Portable tanks should never be brought inside.

Aside from the resulting explosion and fire, the problems are minimal. ;-)

or080507b.jpg

The same risk exists with portable oxygen tanks. http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=481&sid=2062265

Edited by Gottasmilealot