What Size Or Gauge Or Kind Of Wire Should I Buy For Wiring Led Lights, Fantastic Fan, And The Tail Lights?

Stevo

I'm starting to get into the electrical stuff with my rebuild and I am a total tard when it comes to anything electrical. I was wondering if anyone knows what size or gauge or kind of wire I should buy and what kind of connectors I should buy?

I don't know yet what I'll do when it comes to wiring the DC fridge/freezer but the wiring I'll be needing now is for the following stuff...

-LED dome lights

-Fantastic Vent Fan

-Tail lights

Hmmm, I think thats all.

Thanks

First think about laying out the wire runs, You probably won't want to put everything on the same ckt. How will you run the wires from source to first load, to second load, to third load, etc. That way you can get a handle on how many amps will be the normal and maxx loads. Size the wire to the maxx current load plus a safety factor, I would make it at least 100% or more when I wire things up. Curent capicaty for a given wire size varies depending on the quality of the insulation, but I suggest using conservitive ratings like these.

AWG AMPS

22-------8

20------10

18------15

16------19

14------27

12------36

10------47

8--------65

6--------95

4--------125

Always remember that low voltage high current DC ckts require excellent connections for safety's sake. Quality connections will prevent arcing and associated voltage drops and current restrictions that will impede proper operation of your connected devices.

Finally a thought on fusing. In many cases you will find ckts fused to the wire size. I fuse well below that level. I fuse to protect my load devices as well as the wiring and connections. So after checking with an ampmeter my maxx loads I add a small margin, small as I will never actually have all the devices on at once. BTW when checking current loads remember that that will vary with battery voltage so check with a fully charged battery while plugged into shore power with your convetor at maxx, usually 14.4 something volts.

Plan ahead, be carefull, check everything twice and when your'e finished remember to draw up a nice wiring map for future reference.

Have fun, John