We will be leaving for a road trip Tuesday & would like to address a rear brake issue .

I will try to explain the best I can ...

We are now driving in town & minor roads on hard packed snow , today is -21c the warmest day we have had for 8 days . I got the toyota started & during my trip out to give my little beauty a run , it seems only my front brakes are working , pull on the hand parking brake slightly & the rv slows up nicely ..

It seems to me the the rear cylinders may be stuck or seized .. Or could it be the rear load compensator be frozen up or not working ...

At the temps I'm working in its not the best time to be pulling everything apart .. But would like to try to address the problem .

I did notice earlier this fall that when backing out of my drive that is on a hill & gravel , the front end would skid a little when applying the brakes ..

I will continue to look through the forums on this problem ..

But if anyone has some photos of a pulled apart rear brake assembly I'd very much appreciate it ..

Thanks in advance & sorry for bad gramer .. My hands are frozen

Sorry I can't be more help...but sometimes just talking brings some "aha" moments...

So with your description you're telling us that it has to do with the hydraulic system, because the fact that the rear brakes work when using the hand brake shows that the brakes themselves are moving and working, but only when cables are being used, not hydraulics. Right?

Convert to F please :)

If there is some moisture in your brake fluid, it could be freezing if the temps are low enough. This can cause some weird stuff.

I had this happen with a clutch. The truck would idle fine with the clutch out, not moving, in first gear. Push in the clutch and the truck wanted to start creeping forward. :blink:

My master cylinder was going bad, but it worked fine in warm weather...This all happened when it dropped below zero (F) for a week.

So...strange things can happen. Bleeding/Flushing the brake lines isn't a bad idea. You might learn something about what's going on with the rear cylinders (if anything) when you open them up to flush through each of them.

But I don't have any photos or real specific advice for you.

My rear brakes acted the same way, I had to adjust the rear brakes with the manual adjuster which helped, but the thing

that really helped was to flush/bleed about 1.5 quarts of brake fluid through the rear brakes. I think I had a lot of moisture

in the lines. My rear brakes will now lock up on payment.

Unhook the brake compensator and wire it to the frame in the full up position. If things change its just out of adjustment. No change then its frozen or you have other brake problems.

Ok

Sorry guys for not getting back ...

Ok .. I have the camper in my friends heated shop again ... " nice guy " .... Going to leave in over night & then go start looking in the morning .

Yes hand brake works perfect ...

I'll get the wheels off the ground & start bleeding first I guess ...

Seems there is a bleed nipple on the load compensator .. Would you think I should bleed up to it first ? .. Then the wheel cylinders ?

Did not want to start pulling down the hubs if I don't need too ... It's only just past it's safety inspection & the shoes are noted to be at 90% ...

I'm hopping its a fluid issue ...

Thanks again for getting back

Thanks Bufbooth & WME .. You both posted as I was ! ..

Thanks guys ..

I will get at it first thing in the morning & post how I get on & if I need more help .

Thanks

This is right ey

post-7414-0-31399700-1387082554_thumb.jp

Unhook the brake compensator and wire it to the frame in the full up position. If things change its just out of adjustment. No change then its frozen or you have other brake problems.

Ok Awesome i will get at it .... Would you bleed to this compensator first , before the wheel cylinders ?

It looks all in very good shape .. Ie not trust in any ways ...

I will shoot some photos as I work on it ..

Thanks agin

As other have said, Odds are very good, they simply need to be adjusted.

I recommend before going to the troble of adjusting, you may wish to remove the rear axles, inspect the brake shoes, and repack the bearings.

Technique -

When we delivered our Toyhouse to the new owner in Vermont, we had to drive up an icy switch-back road. I found on several turns I could not apply the brakes and turn the wheel at the same time, as the front brakes would lock up and we would slide.

In this case, (we were driving very, very slowly) I used the parking brake and did not touch the brakes.

John Mc

Update !!!!!!

Got it sorted I hope ...

Removed the compensator bar & worked it up & down a bit then held it up over the exhaust .. Bled that nipple, took dome time to get a good flow, I'd say 5 cycles ... Then bled the rear wheel cylinders ..

Rear brakes seem to be coming on strong now .. But only after adjusting the compensator more .

Well I'm going to get it out the shop for a road test in a little while, it's snowing again so I need to wait .

Thanks for all the fast advice ...

Just Awesome Service

Yup ... Stopping as it should ...

Thanks all !