Fridge Installation

Debbit

Today we took the old fridge out and begin installation of the new one. For those who have installed fridges, I would love advice. Reading the installation instructions, there are some things that are different from the way the old one was installed. First the new fridge is about 2.5" shorter than the old one.

It looks as if we don't want a lot of dead air space, it says to fill any spaces over 1/4" around sides and top of the fridge and the enclosure box with insulation. This avoids trapping heat and sacrificing performance of unit. No insulation is to come in contact with the cooling unit. This is all clear and we understand it.

It also says for upper and lower side vent installation, if there is more than an inch between cooling unit and wall, a box baffle should be installed. The idea, again is to limit a lot of air space and, I guess, to help with air flow. But I wouldn't want that hot cooling unit up against that old wooden wall.

The heat build up between the wall and cooling unit makes me concerned. Has anyone used said "box baffle"? Would a plain panel of galvanized metal screwed to the section of wall between the top and bottom vents accomplish the same thing? Should some kind of spacer be used to keep a piece of metal away from the wooden wall? Thanks in advance for any advice!

I have found the information we needed, the box baffle directs air in and out where it needs to go. My old fridge just had a piece of bent metal at the top, guess that was it's baffle.