Removing Sliding Door To Bathroom

chefdave

Hi

i have got a 22ft dolphin. need to remove the sliding door as runners on door have become detached and door will only close halfway. any tips or pointers on best method of getting door out/off.

thanks

dave

Dave,

I've got an '88 Dolphin with the same sliding door as you have. I wanted to lube up the door rollers to keep my door operating smoothly. So, I asked a carpenter friend of mine how he would remove the door. He said (in his opinion) "no dice"! My friend took a good look at it and felt that the coach builder had built the walls around the door; not to mention that the refrigerator wall is also in the way. The staples, glue and wallpaper would be a big mess to disassemble and put back together.

I too, like Dave, would like to ask anyone the same question...and prove my carpenter friend wrong!

~Riverman77

Hi

thanks for reply. lubing rollers could be done with aerosol white grease. pull door shut and spray in gap of metal channel. i may have to take the drastic approach and cut door off. looking at it again in daylight. if i have to cut door off will do it as close to top as possiable so i can reuse door.

Hi

have removed sliding door and kept in one piece. i undid as many screws holding the metal runner at top. then levered door towards rear of vehicle. Pulled on long side to open door as on normal hinges.the runner should then move enough to get wheels on door to slide out of runner. needs a lot of leverage and unfortunatley i moved wood trim above door. now need to stick it back in place. yes your carpenter is probably right on how this door was built in.

Thanks

dave

Dave,

I was hoping someone may have chimed in 'before' you tore up your door. I'm sure others have run into this same problem. Roller wheels & hardware do eventually wear out and go bump, bump, bump. I'll keep checking back on this thread.

~Riverman77

Hi

as said in previous post door still in one piece. it is the trim on one side of door runner that need to be put back.

Dave,

Whew, that's good. Hopefully, putting your trim back up will go smoothly for you.

Thanks for the tip about the white grease on the roller hardware. The 'closest' roller is a synch to get to. Unfortunately, the roller that is buried 'deep' into the door pocket, I have no idea how to reach it to lube it up. I could possibly squeeze the spray can straw up into the crack, and be hopeful that I make contact. Thanks again.

*I'm surprised nobody else has replied to this thread. We've all got some type of bathroom doors, don't we?

~Riverman77

I removed the cover from the inside (the bathroom side) very carefully pry the wood away. You can then reach up inside and move the retaining hook to release the door from the roller. Look at photos of the door rollers to see how the retaining hook works.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/Sliding-Door-Hanger/49692/

JOhn Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto (For Sale)

I removed the cover from the inside (the bathroom side) very carefully pry the wood away. You can then reach up inside and move the retaining hook to release the door from the roller. Look at photos of the door rollers to see how the retaining hook works.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/Sliding-Door-Hanger/49692/

JOhn Mc

John,

Thank you so kindly for chiming in with this information. I would have never known how to un-hook the door. Your photo link from Camping World, made the visual more clear.

Is there much trim that needs to be removed from the inside of the bathroom or, is it simply ONLY "carefully prying" to gain access to this hardware?

Sincerely,

~Riverman77

In my dolphin, The guy who ran the staple gun must not drink de-caf. OR, he was being paid by the staple. :-)

I don't remember trim being a problem. Its that corner round bead stuff they like to use everywhere. I think its stapled directly to the supports, and not the cover itself.

The staples may pull thru the thin plywood as you pry, not a big deal. Once the plywood cover is removed from the top of the door opening, (I think its about 2 inches x 24 inches) just slide the door closed and release the clips.

After I was finished re-hanging the door, I then removed all the old staples, painted the cover piece, and used a couple screws to hold the cover in place.

John Mc

In my dolphin, The guy who ran the staple gun must not drink de-caf. OR, he was being paid by the staple. :-)

I don't remember trim being a problem. Its that corner round bead stuff they like to use everywhere. I think its stapled directly to the supports, and not the cover itself.

The staples may pull thru the thin plywood as you pry, not a big deal. Once the plywood cover is removed from the top of the door opening, (I think its about 2 inches x 24 inches) just slide the door closed and release the clips.

After I was finished re-hanging the door, I then removed all the old staples, painted the cover piece, and used a couple screws to hold the cover in place.

John Mc

John,

Thanks again for this follow up reply. This truly looks likes a synch, now. Now I'll be sure to rub it in my "carpenter friend's" face and show him something that he could not figure out (He will actually be also pleased for these tips of yours)!

Happy Thanksgiving,

~Riverman77