Question about 1984 Gran Sport pop-up mini.

clemensfield

This is my first time posting in this forum. I apologize in advance if i've posted this thread in the wrong category. I've searched endlessly and found very little information about the Toyota Gran Sport pop-up. I've been considering for the last couple months buying this 1984 Gran Sport but have already had a rough year of vehicle repair bills (over 10k) and looking to avoid another catastrophe...

I know someone here will have some useful knowledge or advice. So any help, greatly appreciated.

post-7485-0-93107700-1384404073_thumb.jp

While from the outside it looks like a piece of junk, the unit has a fresh 2 year inspection in Nova Scotia, Canada (where I live) and I have seen it up close and rode as a passenger. The owner wasn't too keen on letting me test drive but insisted that was for insurance reasons. He did let me drive it in his yard for a brief moment. He is the 3rd owner as far as I know and does have the original manual that goes with it. Unlike some of my recent purchases, I know this vehicle has been driven a fair bit in the last couple years and that it hasn't been sitting.

I actually think it's pretty decent mechanically speaking, and in the rear most all of the appliances seem to work too. What attracts me is the manual transmission (albeit 4 speed) and the chance to save on gas (I'm a full time touring solo musician) compared to the gas guzzling ford b class I drove all year. I realize that space is limited in the rear and that the pop-up feature is pretty flakey looking but my thought was to take the $10,000 I would spend on a newer rig and use 70% of that money to restore and repair (if/when needed) this vehicle.

My biggest worry is moisture. I know this vehicle has been in Nova Scotia for at least a decade and even if it hasn't been winter driven, the salty air alone, combined with the design of the unit has me nervous. From what I can tell this has a wooden frame and although it looks fine on the inside I have no idea what's behind those walls or under the flooring. It could be a mess. Once that happens it's pretty much a lost cause, right? That's what I've been told.

http://novascotia.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-RVs-campers-trailers-RVs-motorhomes-1984-Toyota-Camper-from-sunny-Florida-W0QQAdIdZ541931535

Here are some pictures I took with my iPhone when I checked it out:

http://postimg.org/gallery/a9bv26us/2e081046/

Looks pretty good to me. I don't see rumpling on the sideing that is an indication of rot. Walls look smooth. It does look like the stove area is slanted down to the outside slightly. Might be the picture but check it. Might be an indication of the floor collapsing around the side walls. Pushing on the interior panels can give you an idea of how solid they are. Look for water stains inside. I don't really see any in the pics. No way your going to get 30 plus miles a gallon but I don't know the conversion from Canadian gallons to US. All of these pop tops made in the 80's are pretty rare and will get the best mileage of any Toyota motorhome. Good luck whatever you decide

Linda S

Thank you very much Linda, that is helpful. In regards to the MPG I do believe this rig would be in the high 20's. 30 is probably an exaggeration. My 2003 6 cylinder Ford Windstar gets 26 MPG on the highway if I keep it at 90km/hr (56-58 miles/hour).

Well, I made the purchase. Maiden voyage was successful. Here's hoping for some good luck, and I'll look forward to sharing my progress.

Thanks to those who helped.

• 9 years later...

Just purchased an 83 myself I'll be the 4th owner Just looking it over and have to get the engine rebuild the rings let loose on the #1 cylinder and scored it pretty bad Hopefully getting a motor for it built in the next few weeks Luckily I was able to get the price down enough to pay for an engine Everything works and it looks very solid Can't wait till I can take it out