Workamping full time rv-er

Tressa

I have been on the road in my little 1986 Toyota New Horizon for the past 6 months. Money has been running a little low so I thought I would try workamping this 2013 season. Amazon hires workampers and so I applied and got the job. (they hire husband and wife as well as singles). They pay $11 plus the campsite--they are still hiring if anyone is looking for a job.

I am at an R.V. park and I am the smallest rig out here. It is really kind of fun. Which R.V. are you in someone will ask--I am in the little guy. Oh that one! Your the only small one here. I found a campsite on the edge/end of row right near the front. So I do not have that walled in feeling with 40 footers parked on either side of me. It is strange being the smallest rig around!

Oh the joy of driving an older R.V. Murphey's law does take it's toll. So far this year, my propane tank needs to be replaced, the converter went out, the water tank won't hold water, I parked the rig at my sisters house under a tree and when I left to go to work for Amazon I pulled out and a branch caught the edge of the large vent. I arrived at my destination to find daylight over the bed area. I know what I will be doing with the money that is earned this season. But I have learned to improvise until the money comes in...

I have also started a travel blog if anyone wants to follow me in my little r.v.: http://ajoyfultraveler.wordpress.com

Workamping is a great way to earn money while you are on the road.

How many of you out there are Full timing in your little guys?

post-4165-0-97076400-1383365411_thumb.jp

most workkampers use larger rigs. I think I once saw an ad for a WK job that specified a minimum rv size of 32'

the state of florida uses wkers at some of their wildlife mgt areas - no pay but free 3 way hookups - man the check station about 2 days per week.positions start at archery (mid september & end mid april at the end of turkey season.

Never did any WKing but it sounds interesting - if one has cash flow issues & does not mind living in a camper it is one way to cut expenses alot.

I love my toyota! It may be small but it is comfortable for one. You are right most full timers drive big mansions or fifth wheels but I like taking it slow and putt putting around the town. Workamping is fun. There is a lot of comradere among the rv'ers. Strangers become friends.

I have never heard of them specifying workampers having an rv 32 foot or more...in some forests or parks they have to be 32 foot or less because of camping space

" Watch out for the new medical care policy. You can easily jump out of free medical for low income into having to buy insurance by earning one dollar over the dividing line. Then the first 800 dollars or so you make that year will all go for medical insurance and the coverage will only be 70%".

Source?

I would check that out on some of the work kamper websites. there are a lot of options = federal state county parks that pay nothing but give you varies level of services to others that pay min wage (or a little better) for part time work cleaning up around the campground. I saw a place in rural colorado that rented cabins & ran a rv campground - they would hire people to clean the cabins & let them stay in the rv park.

Tressa,

I've been on the road in my 92' Dolphin since August and I love it so far. Haven't had to start working on the road yet but I'm considering it. The toy is small, but living in it really makes you re-evaluate what you really need in your life. Enjoy your travels and maybe I'll see you out there someplace!

Susan