Motor scooter carrier on 21ft Dolphin 1990

Nicehobbits

Here is our first post

We are the new owners of Bonnie a very nice 1990 Toyota Dolphin 21ft with 6 wheel nuts & air bags on the back .. 94k miles .

We are planning a trip south into Mexico & would like to have our 49cc scooter with us . Has anyone got a setup that might just work for us that they can share .

We also want to look at expanding our gas carrying capacity by maybe 10 gallons .

Thanks in advance

Does anyone take a scooter with them ??

I carry two bikes on the spare tire. As for extra gas. I always carry a 2 1/2 gallon can in the genny compartment (I don't have a genny) On our Alaska trip, I Also carried 2 five gallon cans in the genny compartment, Fairbanks to Prudhoe bay is 500 miles with one gas station about 1/2 way in Coldfoot.

I'm very interested in your Mexico trip, as I'd like to do that. If your able, set up a blog and write about it.

Here is a very simple blog we kept on our Alaska trip.

http://iflyez.com/alaska/

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

Thanks for posting John ...

We have driven to Mexico 2 winters ago , but in a ford based c class .. We got as far as PV on the pacific side ..

This winter we have out Mexico touring unit , a mini toy .... With wife & 2 kids .

We plan to drive right to the Belize border ..

I must look at doing a blog ..

Thanks again

Enjoy your trip!
are you planning to go down the w coast/central/e coast?
we've been driving winters since 1991 about a 12k km round trips from ontario to s mexico . bikes on the back no prob but how heavy is the scooter? The problem with carrying any serious rear weight is that missing just 1 topes,vibradores or rombles can do serious damage to overhanging rear wieght , maybe better to have a small trailer?
we use the mexican road atlas Roji Guia & a gps w/mexican routes.
if you're around the Beilizian border (at Chetumal) there is a great but primitive campground in Laguna Bacalar (25k north )called Los Cocolitoes right on the lake itself.Water the colour of the carribean but its fresh so you dont gag on it.

There have been a couple posts asking about scooter carriers lately. I have been reluctant to post because i have no picts. I bought a 4" bumper mounted receiver bolted it on and had it reinforced by welding. Nothing major though i didnt add steel tubing as i wanted.Then i have adapted a metal hitch storage rack to fit my 50cc scooter. i secure scooter to eyelets in rack with 4 ratchet straps. But you could by real scooter carrier.

I have not taken it on long travels just to local spots. I wouldnt recommend my setup for Mexico.I would get real carrier and have it reinforced. Hows your bumper? Rusty? You could replace as others have and then reinforce new bumper. I just couldn't afford it.

Love that you go down to Mexico makes me dream. Hows the roads? good luck!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RV-4-4-1-2-Bumper-Hitch-Mount-Receiver-Adapter-Swagman-/230950410579?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35c5b79953&vxp=mtr

Hey Rad

Thanks for the info & interest .. Yes west coast /c / east coast ... But will dip back into the west coast from Oaxaca City to Puerto Escondido , houtulco ...

I'm just not sure about taking our scooter , it's handy to have but the toyota does not seem heavy in the frame department !! . I make more or less everything I need & like the overkill on everything , but just don't think I can drive south with confidence with a scooter on the back .

Going to concentrate on a outside bbq on the back , kayak rack on roof & more fuel capacity .

85mirage .. Follow your dreams .. One live live it !! ......

The roads just fine .. Toll roads as good or better than freeways in US .. Free roads are more to our liking ....narrow , winding , lots of speed bumps & lots of roadside tacos .

I don't know if you've seen this site for the Mexican pacific coast including Oaxaca http://www.tomzap.com/index.html

It covers a lot between P Escondido & Huatulco.. maps,culture, camping. We tend to overwinter in San Agustinillo between Zipolite and Mazunte , about half way between P Escondido & Huatulco . We haven't taken our toyhouse (87 Blue Marlin) down there (yet) but our 88 Ford c class now 'lives' there overlooking the San Agustinillo beach.

Rad

Thanks Rad

Well maybe we will see you