Sunrader gets New front shocks

Hello, today I installed front shocks on my Sunrader. I chose Gabriel Max control shocks for the front. I also installed energy suspension sway bar bushings.

Not too hard for a old man. Getting up from under the front end was a little slow. Ordered the parts from Autozone and saved 20%. Delivered to the house in four days. What a deal.

post-4138-0-71909800-1380326826_thumb.jp

post-4138-0-70281400-1380326861_thumb.jp

post-4138-0-14668600-1380326895_thumb.jp

post-4138-0-57530900-1380326930_thumb.jp

post-4138-0-34255000-1380326966_thumb.jp

post-4138-0-26717900-1380327002_thumb.jp

I tried to get more information on a model number for the Bilsteins shocks from an online shock store with no results. I saw these on the Auto zone site, heavy duty so I thought I would give them a try.

Have not taken Sunrader on any long trips yet, will keep you up dated after first long trip.

I think you should note that this is a Nissan. I had problems with the shocks on my Nissan. Replaced old Rancho 5000 for KYB gas adjust and they didn't work out at all. Went back and bought new Rancho's and it's better but not perfect. I wish I had just gone with Bilsteins in the first place. Never could figure out why the KYB's didn't work. They are great on my Toyota

Linda S

I jack one side up at a time. Removed front tire, you can remove the shocks sitting up. Required 14mm,17mm wrench and sockets.

I could have used air but my compressor is too small at my house.

On sway bar bushing half the job can be complete sitting up, the two bushings on the torsion bar you need to crawl under the engine to remove four bolts. That was hard on the back.

I found the best way to install the front shock was to compress the shock and safety wire compress. When shock is in position cut the safety and install bolts. This keeps you from fighting the shock while installing.

No special tools required.

@ Linda, you said you were not happy with the Kyb shocks. What problems were you having. Were the shocks bottoming, were they to stiff?

@ Linda, you said you were not happy with the Kyb shocks. What problems were you having. Were the shocks bottoming, were they to stiff?

Just not enough stability. Side to side sway and much too soft. The toyota motorhomes have special part numbers for the motorhomes so I assume stronger shocks. There are no motorhome shocks for the Nissan. I found a thread a long time ago that said our dual wheel chassis D21's came with Tokico shocks but they don't even make any shocks anymore for the D21. I have the specs for the shocks required. Compression and stroke is the same as the regular D21 but damping force is 25% higher than the regular shocks. Since it's hard to get actual specs on shocks you buy I haven't been able to find an exact fit.

Linda S