I think my RV is dead

craige

I am not sure what to do with my RV. Try to sell as is or for parts. The v6 motor has a valve that is stuck and getting no compression. I would have fixed that but it has 160,000 miles on it and the air conditioner in the front has died, the power steering leaks and doesn't work at slow speeds. Cab fan only works on high. ect. All this is fixable but the rest of the camper is going. Obvious signs of water damage in back. The floor in the back and walls have sank several inches to the point that the fiberglass has cracked above the door on the outside. Walls bow out slightly. I did a repair job on the floor in the bathroom but I would really need to rip off the inside walls and floor and start over. The fridge has died also. The generator has not started and probably needs the carburetor rebuilt. The good news is that most of this happened at the same time this summer or slowly over the past year and I haven't been stuck with a constant infuse of cash into the RV. Looking for some suggestions. I have loved the RV and it has taken me all over the US for whitewater kayaking and climbing.

It's up to you...

Sounds to me like general wear. Sounds to me like the condition I bought my RV in...

So...it's time to put some serious money and work into your RV. So you need to decide if you love this particular vehicle and want to dig in, knowing that the things you know are wrong are likely not the only things wrong, and deal with things as they come up, OR, sell it and start looking for something newer.

Price tag may or may not come out the same, and as you know, you've got to be really careful buying another used RV, as it may have its own issues you might miss, no matter how closely you look it over.

Time to decide which you want...

Well, I have first hand experience on the engine front. You're looking at roughly $2,500 to repair the valve. Of course that means a lot of other good stuff done to the engine as well. New head gasket, belts, water pump, and more. On the other hand you could purchase a 3.4l engine and pop that in. Figure on $2k for the engine alone based on what I'm seeing out there, although you may be able to do better.

The other option? Drive on 5 cylinders. Deactivate the injector on the bad cylinder to save wasted fuel and your catalytic converter. You may be able to drive it truly into the ground. Someone told me they went 24,000 miles with a bad cyl before repair. But again, I can tell you first hand that with a bad cylinder you can still enjoy your vehicle for a while. Of course the engine idle while stopped isn't exactly ideal. My guess is it's the #6 cylinder that's failed.

If you love the RV, you may want to consider some major sweat equity vs. paying someone to do it.

Sounds pretty gone but if you have the room and skills to part it out you will probably end up with enough money to buy another one next year.

Air conditioner $200

Refrigerator $200 to $400

Axle and wheels $1000

Furnace $200

Stove $200

Windows 25 each

And the list goes on . You can get much more parting it than the way it is

Linda S

Oops just noticed fridge is dead but lots of other stuff there to sell

It sounds like you have already decided to move to another home

I agree with Linda the sag in the back means some pretty hard work. Selling it out right you will take a big loss over parting it out, but that will require some work on your part as well.... time =money.

I plan to ride mine for as long as I can before I part it out. What year was it made?

I guess you can pull the injector electrical plug or make a switch so when idle, turn it on, on hwy speed, turn it off!!! the problem with leaving fuel unburn is it will damage the catalytic converter...anything at all, it will not pass smog regardless...so go figure!

How does one deactivate a injector?. Other than at idle it runs good if you can ignore the raw gas smells at stops.

If you decide to part her out I would like to buy the gray vinyl end caps that connect the side skirting to the rear bumper. I need both sides, and have not been able to get them anywhere yet.

john