Hello all,

I am new to the Toy world and have a few questions. I just picked up a 86 Sunrader 22R engine with the upgraded axle. the previous owner said it had a problem in the rear end somewhere. After further evaluation and dismantling the rear end found the drivers side oil seal destroyed and the axle shaft broke in two places. When the axle broke it took a large piece of the axle housing with it. the axle housing was unrepairable and need a replacement axle housing. Are there any other axle housing(ie Dana 60,70) that can be used or does it have to be a Toyota(G270?) ? Any info would helpful. Thanks Ken

Edited by LKViertel

These are pretty scarce axles. If I were you, I would take some good measurements of your assembled axle with wheels on and compare these to those from the F250/350 or GM 2500/3500 truck axles. Axles of that type can be had for $500-$800 on ebay and you can find them everywhere. Even if you need to cut off and reweld the spring seats and a few other goodies (wheels may be an interesting problem) this may be a good way to go. The thing is that the diameter of truck tires has increased remarkably in the past 10 years, so current truck wheels and tires wont fit in the present arches.

Depending how radical the surgery is on my vehicle, I may ultimately decide to go with an axle from a heavier pickup with single tires as opposed to duals, but that will only be decided next year. I am afraid of being stuck somewhere with a problem with either the tranny or rear axle and be out of a vehicle for weeks or worse. If I was just going to drive it as is that may be a risk I want to live with, but with the work I am going to put into it, I want to use components that are readily available.

Keith

Hey go to car-part.com and use toyota truck then wheel assy. 87 duals. They have about a dz. listed from $300-$800. You want an a grade with less than 200,000 miles on it. Lower miles the better, they will bolt right in. I am finishing the repairs i have to do on mine before trying to upgrade the rearend.