Dumping Bathroom/Gray Water - How? How often?

mobilehippo

Hi,

I'm a totally newbie to RV living. I just bought an toyota odyssey '78 about 2 weeks ago. I believe the owner dumped the bathroom water before I bought it but I tested out the plumbing and have dumped some water into the tank thru the sink as well as in the toilet.

My question is how often do I need to dump the water in the bathroom and the gray water? If I'm not using it how long can i let it sit if there is water inside? Also, the owner told me to dump the bathroom water first then the gray water. Is there any youtube video out there or manual about how to do it? How to connect the line from the tank to the waste? Will an RV place let me dump the waste even if I don't park it there?

Sorry if I'm not using the right terminologies here. But any information would be helpful!

Thanks!!

Mobilehippo,

You can leave both tanks full of whatever as long as you want as long as you don't live in an area where it freezes. For freezing weather, you should empty both tanks so that they don't get damaged by freezing.

Many gas stations, some interstate rest areas and all RV parks have RV dump stations. Most, if not all of them, will charge you something to dump your tanks except the interstate rest areas. RV parks will usually charge you something if you're not staying there. The fee you pay for staying at an RV park usually includes RV dumping privileges.

John

Dump when full. If you have a newer model it will have buttons to press to see the level in the tank. If not then look down the toilet when in use... don't let it get to floor level. companies make tanks to dump into as well if you are more permanent at a site. You can dump into the towable container, and drive your car/truck to the septic/sewer pipe at your location and dump the tank.

Yes dump black then grey to wash out the black from the tank pipes and the hose.

If the RV park has a dump station we always dump when we are leaving even if moving on to a new location. You never know when your next chance will be to get rid of that stuff. We also make sure at the end of a trip we dump so that the tanks are empty for the next trip. Plus if you let it sit in there for too long it will really start to stink no matter how much deodorizer you pour in. We don't have a freezing problem here so that's not a concern.