Fridge..seems too hot

Debbit

I've picked up an old instamatic that will fit, just don't know if it will work. It is very clean and in good shape. I know it doesn't work on electric, the vent won't get hot. Assume it is the element. But it does light on gas. I ran it for a while last night and would have run it all night, but it got very, very hot on the vent stack. I believe it was beginning to cool inside, but couldn't be sure yet. How hot are these fridges supposed to get and aren't they a fire hazard?

It's very level. But when I picked it up, it looked to be plugged in and was not level. If it was that way for 3 days, well, guess that would do it. It rode the 2 hours home on it's side, but not running, of course. That isn't bad for these fridges, is it?

mine stack gets too hot to touch at the burner. the flame can get larger if the thermostat is calling for heat. I out my unit in noew 2 years ago - it akes about 3 hourse to start cooling. I would not give up on a frig until I ran it overnight - it shoudl freeze water (I would put a cup of water in the fridge along with a thermeter in both the freezer & the frig. I get 0 in the freezer and about 40 in frig. Outside temperature does matter. Also make sure your chimney is not closed off - the distilling process that causes the darn things to work does generate heat.

on either electric or propane the process is the same - heat starts a distilling process vaporizing the ammonia/ hydrogen gasses.

meant to add that I have heard of people turning a questionable fridge upside down for a day, then turning it back right side up for a day -- in an attempt to get the little passageways to unclog -- sounds rather questionable to me but what the heck.

as for transporting th eunit on its side - I see no issue there.

Do you smell ammonia?