hot air blowing out of ac

looked on craigslist and found a guy less then a mile away

2 cans of r12 $70 (35 each) and asked if he would install for $10

so $80 later I have cold cold air blowing now!!!

not a bad deal..

I'd be wondering why the old R12 leaked out? I don't understand refilling unless you found and fixed the leak.

I bought a case of 134A a few weeks ago for $40. That's twelve 12 ounce cans for $40. Less then $4 each. Parts to convert a Toyota over from R12 to 134A comes to less then $20. Less then $40 in parts and gas to convert the AC in a Toyota. And - if it leaks out you can buy more 134A easy at any auto parts seller or Walmart.

I'm really not trying to rain on your deal -but when gas has leaked out, something is wrong. My 1979 Datsun 280ZX still has the original factory charge of R12. So does my 1994 Ford F250. So does my 1989 Subaru.

so far holding charge

I could not see any leaks

used 1 can of r12 leak(has dye in can so you can see leak)

I was wondering myself why empty?

so far everything is working great.

as for 134a I wanted stay stock and use factory specs. I did not want to chance any oil left in line.

also read a lot of peps ruined their compressor using 134a.

and no you did not rain on my parade just sprinkled on it... I'm happy with what I paid..it was quick ez and painless

plus saved $$$ doing it myself...

I'd be wondering why the old R12 leaked out? I don't understand refilling unless you found and fixed the leak.

I bought a case of 134A a few weeks ago for $40. That's twelve 12 ounce cans for $40. Less then $4 each. Parts to convert a Toyota over from R12 to 134A comes to less then $20. Less then $40 in parts and gas to convert the AC in a Toyota. And - if it leaks out you can buy more 134A easy at any auto parts seller or Walmart.

I'm really not trying to rain on your deal -but when gas has leaked out, something is wrong. My 1979 Datsun 280ZX still has the original factory charge of R12. So does my 1994 Ford F250. So does my 1989 Subaru.

I've never witnessed a case of a compressor getting trashed by 134A. I've changed over many. 134A systems require PAG oil. But when working on a former R12 system - ester oil is used and is compatible with R12 and 134A. Not an issue as I see it. If someone trashed a system they probably put too much 134A in. You cannot fill a prior R12 system with the same amount of 134A. Less must be used.

I WILL say that many systems blew colder air with the original R12 - but not a huge difference.

Quite often an AC system will not leak when being used (under high pressures). Many times the leaks show up when they sit and all the pressures (hi and low) equalize to 50-60 PSI.

The only issue I am aware of when changing from R12 to 134A the older rubber hoses. The old hoses were single-wall and held R12 OK. But the molecules in 134A are smaller and can seep through the rubber. That's why the hoses were changed near 20 years ago to "barrier" rubber hoses.

Who sell the R12 leak (dye). Before adding more R12 to a system in question and blowing hot air. Would you recommend changing all the orings in the system first?

Who sell the R12 leak (dye). Before adding more R12 to a system in question and blowing hot air. Would you recommend changing all the orings in the system first?

not sure if he would ship....here is the guy I bought in san diego/ ;la mesa ca

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/esd/pts/4042342640.html

could be every true JD

im just glad its blowing cold air.....

I've never witnessed a case of a compressor getting trashed by 134A. I've changed over many. 134A systems require PAG oil. But when working on a former R12 system - ester oil is used and is compatible with R12 and 134A. Not an issue as I see it. If someone trashed a system they probably put too much 134A in. You cannot fill a prior R12 system with the same amount of 134A. Less must be used.

I WILL say that many systems blew colder air with the original R12 - but not a huge difference.

Quite often an AC system will not leak when being used (under high pressures). Many times the leaks show up when they sit and all the pressures (hi and low) equalize to 50-60 PSI.

The only issue I am aware of when changing from R12 to 134A the older rubber hoses. The old hoses were single-wall and held R12 OK. But the molecules in 134A are smaller and can seep through the rubber. That's why the hoses were changed near 20 years ago to "barrier" rubber hoses.