Replacing rear tail-light bulb

nooga

This is probably the dumbest plea for help you guys have ever heard but here goes. One of the tail-light bulbs on my 1994 Itasca Spirit is out. I tried to replace it today but called it off until I did more research. I unscrewed the screws on the plastic but couldn't easily pry them off the housing where the wiring is. I was afraid I would break the plastic. Then I turned my attention to the housing but it seemed there must be an easier way since taking off the housing would require a whole re-caulking job. Any suggestions from anyone who has done this?

Can you post a photo of the light assembly?

On my Escaper, the lens comes off of the assembly and you just remove the lens and replace the bulb. Most of the RV's use Bargman lights and most of the ones that I have seen are the same as mine.

Bobs' right the lens has to come off....youre' right the lens seizes to the body of the light...one of mine was cracked and repaired due to seizing.....but it must come off....maybe prying off at two places instead of one will help go slow..... when you get the lens off you might run into corrosion in the socket ....I use copper wire gun cleaning brushes of the proper size.....then you can follow with a coating of Penetrox on the lamp base( its basically a conductive grease)...

I use dielectric grease for all of my light bulbs on every vehicle I own. When I purchase or install lights, they all get stripped down and grease put in. It really slows (or stops) the corrosion in the sockets. I have not had a corrosion problem on any lights that I have treated.

good idea....My clearance lites need to be done as a precaution...too many other projects ahead of it

Nooga sez: Thanks to those who responded with suggestions on how to replace a tail-light bulb. I'm finding that easy tasks are more complicated with motorhomes compared to cars. Frustrating but keeps me busy and un-bored.

Don't worry about being bored if you own an older MH. They always seem to need a little work.

It is very rewarding to be able to say that you keep it in good shape and are enjoying the fruits of your labor. I get many comments on how good my Toyhouse looks. Most people can't believe that it is 25 years old.

i have a 93 winnie warrior which is the same as an itasca spirit. on mine there are 2 sets of screws - the outboard set hold the entire assembly into the wedge shaped backer - the inner 2 screws which go into the lens itself release the lens. take the inner 2 out & it should come out - they do tend to get sticky as goop - mud - dirt builds up around the edges in the groove inside the lens where it mates to the assembly. My brake light quit working - took the bulb out & after looking at it real good I put it back in & it is still working today.

note that the 2 sets of screws line up together at the top & bottom of light assembly.