Bought another Sunrader

Mikesta

Sounds neat. I've long wanted an 18 footer. There was an 18 foot Sunrader for sale around 200 miles from me for a full year with an asking price of $2300. It had some substantial truck-rust and I didn't buy it. I heard it finally sold for $1500. In retrospect, I kind of wish now I had gotten it. But - I've quite a few already and getting more does make things more complicated. I come across many 20 and 21 foot Toyotas of various makes, but the 18 footers seem to be scarce.

I've had a few 18' rigs. some with the rear hatch and some with the rear dinette. I've never had one with a Bathroom/shower though and this one has that. Still haven't gotten around to taking pictures yet but will later on today. This one might be the donor for the 80 Series LandCruiser. Just need to eyeball it and take some measurements. Also have a buddie coming over to look at it, he may trade me his 91 FJ80 for one of my Sunraders. I have 5 80 series right now.... that is where the sickness really is. I will never catch up to you though JD!

Welcome to the club. Got 2 18ft sunraders in my driveway. Another one on hold not far from me that is pretty trashed and still waiting to hear if the pop top v6 Odyssey I looked at a while back is still available. Odyssey is all fiberglass and pops up to the side like a Vixen. We all need to form a recovery group except I don't want to recover.

Linda S

Hey Linda, is one of your 18' rigs a good shell? I'm going to go with the full shell to LandCruiser conversion instead of the camper. Wanna sell one of them?

Both of the vehicles here are good Sunraders all around. A Toyota with less than 60,000 miles on it and a Nissan v6. Not for dismantling and couldn't ever sell either. One I am waiting for is pretty nasty but it's an 85 with the axle upgrade and after I clean out the rat craap it will be a good runner. You just got an 18 footer. Aren't you going to use that?

Linda S

Looks like a nice camper unit. Funny I have never seen the automatic floor shifter like that on anything but an 85 before. That is obviously older. 80, 81? Very nice shape though. make sure you remove those front windows before you try to do anything major with the shell. I don't know if you intend to keep them but the big ones like that are a difficult replacement and any flexing of the shell will break them for sure. If you don't want them please save and sell to someone who does need them. 800 bucks each if you can't make one yourself

Linda S

Hmm. 81 was the last year of the big wrap around windows. Must be a very early 82 and they needed to use up the rest of the big ones. I couldn't find another pic of an 82 with those windows anywhere. The good thing about them is they didn't come with clearance lights so one less thing to fix

Linda S

Hmm. 81 was the last year of the big wrap around windows. Must be a very early 82 and they needed to use up the rest of the big ones. I couldn't find another pic of an 82 with those windows anywhere. The good thing about them is they didn't come with clearance lights so one less thing to fix

Linda S

Yes, likely the case - This one is titled as an 82... have yet to look for a door/vin tag that would say more. Researching the best way to separate the RV from the truck now.

And then the RV company takes a 1981 truck and finishes the conversion in 1982 and calls it an 82.

I've had plenty of vehicles made late in one year that were technically the next years model.

But that truck isn't a 1982 model made in late 81. It's an 81 model. All 82 models had square headlights.

Unless somebody swapped grills and headlights with an earlier model truck (like I did on my 83).