Engine-assisted hot water heater in a Toyota RV?

zero

I've stripped a few Toyota RVs (and own a few) but have not seen all makes. Not even close. I'm wondering if any Toyota RVs came OEM with hot-water heaters that got heated by the truck engine while driving? I'm also wondering if any offered rear heat also from the truck engine when driving or when the engine was running?

I'm stripping a non-Toyota RV right now that has both. There's a "Motor Aid" heat exchanger inside the RV hot-water heater that gets heated whenever the engine is running. This way, after driving and then stopping - there's always a tank of heated water ready to use. I kind of like the idea. I also like the extra engine-driven heater in back for winter use.

JD, I've never heard of any Toyhouses with aux heaters (or water heaters) run off the truck coolant, but If the price was reasonable cheep, I can easily see this for the winter driving.

I've made several trips across the US in Jan on I-80, the back of the coach gets mighty cold.

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

In this case - the stuff is no cost to me. I like the idea of the engine coolant-to-RV water heat-exchanger. It basically heats the RV domestic water for free when driving. The gasoline (or diesel) is going to make all that waste heat anyway -whether it is harnessed or not. The book says that two hours of driving will heat up 6 gallons of water.

Don't you have a Lesharo? I do believe they have engine assisted water heaters, at least that's what I was told by a former owner of one. I have been looking for someone parting a Lesharo near me because of that so I hope it's true. I intended to install one in my Tiger. Also have been searching the boat section of craigslist cause they are more common on boats. Have to find one of the small ones and they are hard to find.

Linda S

Don't you have a Lesharo? I do believe they have engine assisted water heaters, at least that's what I was told by a former owner of one. I have been looking for someone parting a Lesharo near me because of that so I hope it's true. I intended to install one in my Tiger. Also have been searching the boat section of craigslist cause they are more common on boats. Have to find one of the small ones and they are hard to find.

Linda S

Yes , I've got a 1986 Winnebago Phasar that I'm stripping. (fancy version of the Lesharo). It has a 120 VAC/20 amp tank-type hot water heater with a Motor Aid heat-exchanger that allows the engine to heat up the water when driving.

I've also got some literature that shows Atwood offering the Motor Aid option on their hot water heaters.

http://www.winnebagoind.com/resources/service/pdfs/2004-07%20Care%20&%20Maintenance%20of%20Water%20Heaters.pdf

Good then I will keep looking for one being parted out. I did find a couple but not in time to get the water heater out of them. My Tiger never had a water heater installed at the factory. Only one I have ever seen like it. There is a storage compartment there instead. It is close to the front of the camper though and not far at all from where I would need to splice in lines from the Truck heater lines. Also has a good working Onan microlite for 110 at a campsite So the heat exchanger water heater would work perfect

Linda S

Good then I will keep looking for one being parted out. I did find a couple but not in time to get the water heater out of them. My Tiger never had a water heater installed at the factory. Only one I have ever seen like it. There is a storage compartment there instead. It is close to the front of the camper though and not far at all from where I would need to splice in lines from the Truck heater lines. Also has a good working Onan microlite for 110 at a campsite So the heat exchanger water heater would work perfect

Linda S

I might sell this one. I was thinking about using the aux cabin heater in my Minicruiser. Not the hot-water heater though since it already has a propane fired tank heater.

This one is 6 gallons, 17" long, 13" high, and 13" wide. Says Atwood and SeaWard on it. Winnebago book says the aux part of it is from Motor Aid. Looks like a neat setup - especially to install in a spot where propane venting is not feasible or practical.

I wish I could elimnate all the chimneys and vents on my Minicrusier. I've gotten pretty fed up with hornets and mud wasps. I just yanked a furnace out of Sunrader that was completely ruined by hornet nests inside the combustion chamber. Last time I put some hornet spray into the furnace chimney pipe on my Minicruiser - a bat came flying out. I finally got a stainless-steel mesh screen for it. Still got the refrigerator and hot-water vents open though.

post-6578-0-28396800-1377971032_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-62936100-1377971034_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-02283600-1377971036_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-65046500-1377971037_thumb.jp

post-6578-0-35822700-1377971039_thumb.jp

I only have 16 inches max depth to work with. Maybe I should quit looking for a lesharo one if they came with the 6 gallon. Need the 4 gallon. Lots of boats in the bay area. I'm sure one will come up. The Tigers were set up for the smallest Surburban water heater, same size in my Sunrader. I do have an extra one but I am putting that in my Nissan Sunrader. gets confusing trying to figure out what to do to which one

Linda S

Technically, the heater is 16" long, not 17" but the hose connections in the back (that go to the engine) stick straight out. I'm impressed with the quality of this thing. Tank is aluminum (no steel to rust). The 1500 watt heating element is a common one and for sale at Home Depot for $13. So, no proprietary parts if ever needed.

Regarding the refrigerator and hot-water vents, I was getting mice nest in there, which made for some interesting

Fall heater test, I have flames and black smoke coming out of the vent. After two years in a row of this, I took off

the vent cover and installed a heavy metal screen. When I took my Toyota out of storage this year, I did not have

anything in the refrigerator and hot-water vents.