Back up monitor final......

grandview bill

the last steps in the monitor install....camera to monitor wiring....this involves getting the shielded cable / with RCA ends from the cab to the camera in the rear,plus an extra wire to pick up the backup lite ckt.i looked under the dash for the backup ckt wire ,but theres no way to see it let alone splicing into it.i started by twisting together 20 ft 1/2 pvc pipe and laid it out behind the rv,I started to push it up to the cab.i had to stay on the passenger side to find a path.I ended the pipe even with the firewall.then cut off the remainng end ,even with the rear of the frame about 17 ft.i starting doing this pipe method for snowmobile trailer wiring ,they really get beat up under neath from ice and snow.Next i pushed the two wires from the rear thru the pipe and out the other end.From there the wires go up the firewall,then across to the drivers side then enter the cab thru a existing rubber bushing with awire harness already in it .The wiring terminations......at the rear i probed with a pin and test lite and found the backup lite.i tapped on to this (pos)wire,this will turn the system on in reverse.next i connected the rca male and female connectors for the camera ouput.for convenience i picked up the negative thru the frame w/ aself tapping screw.In the cab i spliced the rca from the camera cable to the monitor cable .I spliced back up wire from rear to monitor postive power lead.i mounted a rocker switch on left end of dash where the two knockout blanks are.This switch has two wires one to the fuse holder for (positive )..... the other wire connects with the backup wire at monitor...this overrides the backup circuit so you can have the system on wnenever you want ........some notes ....the monitor and camera power supply leads have the smallest wire ive ever seen ,even careful strippng with a wire stripper will destroy the copper....use a soldering iron and slowly melt the insulation away then use solder to tin the wire.Isaw no practical way of replacing these wires..if you want to pick up power at the fuse box ,use one of the plug in adapters it replaces a fuse and adds two with a wire...the system works good ,i did not some noise on the image when I started the engine....i dont care for the grid lines that show up on the monitor....BUT.. this is just a starting point ...if you put the wires in your rv with the RCA connectors you can change cameras and monitor quickly...the connections seem to be standard