Rotted bathroom floor in '92 Dolphin

Joelene

I have a 92 Dolphin and the flooring in th batheroom is rotted. I know I will need to take the toilet out. I guess I need to support the holding tank underneath when I do that? Will I have floor joists going across the body to attach new flooring to? Anyone have any idea how far apart the floor joists are?...and..Any idea of what metrial the floor is made of and how thick? I only want to replace the flooring in the bathroom as the rest of teh coach is solid so I want to try and stay with the same thickness of flooring. Also is the wax ring on the toilet smaller than a standard size? Can I go to the big orange store for a repalcement ring instead of an RV store? Any suggestions for replacing wax ring? Thank you in advance for your help. Appreciate it!

Joelene,

Any chance you could post some photos of the affected area? Does it go all the way out to the walls or is it more centrally located under the toilet? I doubt that you'll find much if any framing under the bathroom floor. There is a method of repair that's pretty easy if your rot doesn't go all the way out and under the walls.

Also, the tank is supported by its own structure. You shouldn't have to worry about it falling down. The toilet just lifts up after you undo it. The wax ring is a regular, household wax ring.

John

sounds like you have a leak....

your going to have to figure out where water is coming from and fix leak.

you don't want to just fix floor with out finding leak..

check out toilet it can leak from the wax ring leaking water or the toilet check valve that controls how much water is flushed..

you might be able to flush toilet and check for leaks while water is flushing..

or could be shower pan drain. take off shower drain guard poor some water in shower and see if water goes down drain pipe or if it leaks

out....

my rv floor has 1/8 plyboard then a foam base..1987 mini cruiser..

I had some spongy spots in bathroom from toilet check valve leaking was a easy fix as far as toilet goes..

floor will be one of this winters projects

Thank you all. I do realize I had a leak. I know where the leak is and it is easily fixed. I guess the most important thing I need to know.....Is there cross members underneath the subflooring that I can fasten new plywood to? Thank you all...any more advise would be greatly appreciated.

Hey Ya Baby! Thank you so much. Think I got this. Will let you know what I find. My RV is for sale on Craigslist South Jersey. (Hope you're allowed to say that here!) Someone is coming to look at it tomorrow. If he doesn't take it home, I'll be ripping the floor up and keeping my fingers crossed. Thanks again! Joelene