Wood Rot!

I have found it! From the fiberglas Cab panels on both sides to the rear. Its all rotted and i have been removing it, the hard way! Using a screwdriver as i don't have any wood chisels. Some folks liked them better than i did and removed lock from shed. Of course they found lots of other stuff they could use! This will teach me to live within 35 miles of Memphis Tn. Thinking of trimming all the alum. skin except what i can tuck under and staple to a 1"x1". Yes they had the alum. skin on inside too. Rotted out because it was never sealed under there. Its too late after being 29 years old. Best i can tell all that stuff hanging down is for appearance, does nothing for support. Just adds 20 or 30 extra lbs. i don't need!

• 3 years later...

HI - We are looking at purchasing an RV that has some wood rot under one window. How hard is it to replace the wood rot and inside paneling?

Thanks, kristin

Simple to very involved. Are you good at woodwork? Do you have a place to work? Do you have the tools? Each RV is different but most were not designed with wood replacement in mind. You might get lucky and have easy access to your section. Or you might end up having to remove the window to get access. Or the cabinets. Or 1/2 the inside of the RV. Wood rot is somewhat like rust. What you see may only be the tip of the iceberg. Once you start pulling wood away you may find other areas where water has run to and damaged. Don't forget to properly reseal the window.

My opinion is if you notice rotten wood, find another unit. That does become a challenge if you want a Toyota MH as the newest one is 17 years old. Or you may be in a part of the country where your choice is severely limited. If you do buy one with rot, make certain it is at a steep discount. At least you get compensated for your work that way.