An Ultra Rare Toyota Diesel Motorhome- Check it Out!

holyghostfire

They are sure asking alot for this imported motorhome from Japan. It looks more like a roadtrek, but it gets 30 mpg!

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/van/rvs/3997224147.html

There is not a chance in H*ll that it gets 30 MPG in the USA . Maybe 28 MPG in Canada that equals 23-24 MPG with US gallons.

I've seen what owners claim for fuel mileage overseas for those vans with NO RV built into or onto them.

Here's one report from Russia which is pretty typical. Converted to USA MPGS, he's getting 19.6 to 23.5 MPG.

"Hi! I from Russia, city Tomsk (the Siberia). Want to learn of consuption of the diesel oil on your minibus in your country. All depend on mode of the usages and place, where you are found, so me interesting this hear. Also indicate the parameters of the machine. On my Master ace Surf (91), 2C-T (1974 sm3), Mechanical gearbox, 10 litres on 100 km (city, summer), 12-13 litres on 100 km (city, winter), 8,5 litres on 100 km (route) "

Here's another owner's report with a 4WD diesel van from Ireland.

"I used to bemoan mine for only getting 23mpg. It made it worse to learn there were others getting nearly 40 in theirs. However, I've since learned that 4WD versions are heavier on fuel and most people plod along in theirs and seem to average 27-29. I really drive mine and find it difficult to keep the speed down but regularly cruise at 120k and sometimes touch 130k so I've only got myself to blame. I've found that raising tyre pressures to 40-42 psi helps and adding injector cleaner at each service gives me 24/25 mpg."

Note that 24-25 MPG in Ireland is 19-20 MPG in the USA. Granted, this Ruskie is realling tooling along at 75 MPH.

Funny that somehow making an RV out it somehow increases the fuel mileage??

The 2 liter diesel Lesharos can get 22-23 MPG in the USA if driven at 55-60 MPH. I suppose the HiAce RV does around the same.

But then the Le Sharo is not 4 wheel drive.

Or there is the 2.4 liter BMW diesel Vixens (2 wheel drive) which while not a Toyota does qualify as a mini motorhome at only 21 feet long. Owners often claim to get 30mpg. My friend is shopping for one because it has a full time rear bedroom and a bathroom that are wife approved. She looked at the custom interior Toyota Americana with the copper roof and huge skylights that was for sale up here in Seattle last summer. Turned it down because the overcab bed is too small for two people on a full time live in basis.

I'm have never believed a Vixen was capable of getting 30 MPG (US gallons) in normal use. I realize believing in magic can be fun - but when it comes to inflated fuel mileage claims - I became a disbeliever many years ago. I put the 30 MPG Vixen in the same category and the claims made by many people with 21 foot Toyotas of over 20 MPG. Much of the hype comes from people using the larger European/Canadian gallons and/or believing that diesels are magical. The latter usually comes from people with little to no diesel experience.

It's reasonable to expect a diesel to get 20-30% better efficiency then a gas engine when of equal technology. Obviously that varies and some gas engines beat equal size diesels. I would guess a Vixen with a gas engine would consistently get 17-18 MPG (US) on the highway and 23-24 MPG with a diesel. Just like the Lesharos and Phasars. Lesharos with 2 liter gas engines get 15-16 MPG with automatics, 14-15 MPG with GM gas 3.8 V6s and autos, and 17 MPG with 2 liter gassers and stick. Diesels with stick 20-23 MPG.

I've got a little 1985 Isuzu 4WD 2.2 liter diesel pickup that I drive every day. Been a great truck but the best mileage it's ever gotten on a highway trip was 29 MPG (US). You're not going to convince me that a 5000 lb. plus RV is going to do that good or better.

I never was any good at convincing people of stuff even when it was true. ;)

Excuse me if I misread something - but didn't you say the seller of the Vixen "claimed" to get 30 MPG? By that statement, you know it to be true - or are you basing your claim on something else?

The BMW six-banger diesel as used in the Vixen was a reworked M20 gas engine. My boss had one in his 85 Lincoln Continental briefly and I used to maintain it for him. He only kept it a year since it was so underpowered. Here in hilly country of NY the best he ever got was 27 MPG. Going to Florida he claimed he got 29 MPG. Note that is the same engine as the Vixen used but in a car instead of an RV. I cannot believe a 5000 lb. + Vixen is going to beat the car in MPGs.

People exaggerate their mpg in everything. I've seen people claim to get into the 20's with gas Toyota MH's. That said........it's sucks that things like that were never brought here. 18-22-24 mpg I wouldn't care, I'd buy one.

I drive a diesel VW and love diesels. I hate seeing all the diesel options that people in other countries have when picking a small motorhome.

People exaggerate their mpg in everything. I've seen people claim to get into the 20's with gas Toyota MH's. That said........it's sucks that things like that were never brought here. 18-22-24 mpg I wouldn't care, I'd buy one.

I drive a diesel VW and love diesels. I hate seeing all the diesel options that people in other countries have when picking a small motorhome.

Yes and to add "insult to injury" many neat diesel vehicles from Europe are never allowed to be registered in the USA. In Canada, many ARE allowed when sold used. Also, many of the European diesels are underpowerd by American standards and likely would not do well, as far as sales go.

There have been many good diesels offered in the USA since the 1960s and just about all were total flops when it came to sales. The average US consumer seems to have little interest in a diesel except when fuel prices skyrocket or when a car maker offers a diesel that does not sound or run like a diesel.

I've owned and worked on diesels for over 40 years. It used to be a great advantage since diesel fuel used to be considerably cheaper then regular gasoliine.

Also the older diesel fuel had more BTU energy in it that the ultra-low sulfur does today. Of course, seems gas is going that route also by upping the ethanol content. Back durng the 70s fuel shortages when gas was only sold every other day (depending on license plate # and region) - diesel was exempt which was also a neat advantage.

Now - I'm not so sure about any over-all advantages. Diesels cost more to maintain. Here in New York diesel fuel is usually 40-50 cents more per gallon then regular gas. If you are buying new - often the diesel "option" is $5000-$10,000 more instead of $800 to $1200 like it was 20 years ago.

Also, diesel technology has lagged behind that of gasoline engines when it comes to efficiency. Most of the work on newer diesels has involved emissions and "ease of use." Gas engines have gotten better. Not great, but better. My 1981 Chevy Chevette diesel gets 45-46 MPG here in NY at an altitude of 1800 feet. My 91 VW Jettas both get 48 MPG (used to get 50 MPG with the older and better diesel fuel). My 92 diesel Dodge 4WD truck gets around 20 on an empty trip on the highway.

Diesels were always high-compression. They have to be to accomplish compression - ignition. Gas engines with spark-ignition however typically used low compression which made them ineffecient. That has changed with microprocessors controlling ignition timing, knock sensing, valve timing, fuel injection, etc. Subsequently gas engines have taken more of a leap then diesels - in my opinion. 30 years ago - a gas engine full size half-ton pickup truck might get 12-15 MPG and a diesel 18-21 MPG. Now? A new gas engine full-size 1/2 ton truck can get 22 MPG and you cannot buy a 1/2 ton diesel (at least not last I checked). Some new light diesels are coming out again (as they did in the 70s-80s). But this time the price difference is a lot more and I've yet to see any huge fuel mileage increases reported. Maybe I'm wrong - we'll see.

I suspect when the next phase of diesel emissions regs cuts in - pretty much all advantages will be lost for use by the average consumer. We'll see.

There have always been diesel RVs offered in USA and they are usually built on European formats. Winnebago Lesharo and Phasar. Riata with a VW or Mercedes diesel. Sprinter-powered RVs, etc. Usually priced so high I doubt the fuel savings could every pay for the difference in purchase price.

If I had money to burn - I'd like to try a Ford Transit Connect gas engine mini-RV. They seem to be getting popular in Europe.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kevinhornbydesigns/sets/72157625618225887/