Hello everyone, I have a question about the front brakes of my 1980 motorhome, they need work...

I found out it is a 3/4 ton C&C model(Canada) with the K-type calipers and vented discs.

This is the caliper I have: http://www.cardone.com/Products/Product-Detail?productId=19-1387, I hope that the mounting holes of the bracket are similar to later, more powerful calipers.

And this is the type rotor: http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Duralast-Brake-Rotor-Front/1980-Toyota-Pickup-2WD/_/N-imb3hZ8knrq?itemIdentifier=42721_172993_2708_5171

I see that various manufacturers call it a 1 ton and others still call it 1/2 ton, confusing.

Now my question: is there a bolt-on caliper that is an upgrade over the existing one(I see people mentioning a V6 caliper but only with swapping to 6 lug hubs, no mention of anybody keeping the 5 lug) or should I just go for the same caliper with maybe Hawk or ceramic pads, turned/new rotors and be done?

I just measured the caliper mount and the bolt hole spacing is 89mm. And the spacing from caliper bracket to rotor is 36mm. Just in case somebody has a better caliper laying around that can me measured....

Can anybody tell me if the one ton brakes I seem to have, once in good shape, will work adequately or is this the perfect time to upgrade.

I want to keep the 5 lug fronts since I am running the 5 lug rear. Don't feel like upgrading the rear axle, it is only a 16 foot rig, I pulled the rear axles, magnafluxed them, installed new quality bearings and replaced the shoes, removed the furnace, fridge and water tank so the whole rig is within maximum manufacturers weight limits.

So about the front brakes, anyone?

Thanks, JR

Edited by JR67

To answer my own questions; the V6 calipers have the same bolt hole distance but have the pads further inboard by around 1/2", so a deeper dished rotor is needed. If I would discard the rotor shield it looks like there is enough room. What I didn't measure is what diameter rotor would be necessary to make the pads seat fully, I found that discs for a BMW 325I have the same spindle hole but different bolt circle diameter so I would have to drill new holes in between the original ones. If I would do that I suppose I could make pretty much any properly dished rotor with 5 holes and a smaller spindle diameter than 79mm fit on my lathe. All and all too much work for now; I'll start troubleshooting the brake system the way it is, replace what's needed and see what it does.

Edited by JR67