What's my 85 MRV Savannah worth.

Hi,

I am new here and hope someone can help me.

I have a 1985 Savanna MRV w/25k mi. It's in very good cond. It has a new Carrier A/C unit,new awning,tires and battery.

The interior is in vey good shape,ie.no leaks,plumbing works (sans missing H20 heater that was gone when I got it)Has elect.fridge.

I am trying to sell it and just found out 2 days ago about the axle issue. As you might guess it still has the BAD axle as far as I can tell.

So what is a fair price for this unit? I have a 2 guys who want it but don't know how much to ask knowing this info.

Both parties are aware of the issue as the first one is who alerted me to the problem and I told the second about it too.

Any advice or insight is much appreciated.

Thanks

Yes the first one asked on this web site about it. I hate to tell you but unless the person you sell it to is a pretty good mechanic the cost of replacing the axle can exceed 2 grand. Maybe more. And that's only if they can find the right axle. Not a lot of them around. If the second guy is interested I would try to make the best deal I can. At least your being honest. I respect that a lot. I would have a hard time nailing down a price. For the fixers it's basically what someone is willing to pay

Linda S

Thanks for the reply Linda.

The first guy wants it but is currently looking for an axle. The second guy didn't seem to care about the axle issue.

He just wanted to know if he had to wait on guy#1 to decide.

With the fix this thing should last darn near forever.I don't want to get taken nor do I want to take anyone else on this.

I don't know if the low mileage would have an effect on the likelihood of the axle breakage happening.Any thoughts?

I guess I should be glad that it was not ever an issue on my trips to PA w/it. I was only getting rid of it b/c we outgrew it. Now I wonder if I should just keep it as guest quarters and count my blessings.

Thanks for the reply Linda.

The first guy wants it but is currently looking for an axle. The second guy didn't seem to care about the axle issue.

He just wanted to know if he had to wait on guy#1 to decide.

With the fix this thing should last darn near forever.I don't want to get taken nor do I want to take anyone else on this.

I don't know if the low mileage would have an effect on the likelihood of the axle breakage happening.Any thoughts?

I guess I should be glad that it was not ever an issue on my trips to PA w/it. I was only getting rid of it b/c we outgrew it. Now I wonder if I should just keep it as guest quarters and count my blessings.

Yes the axle breaking was cause by stress on the wheel bearings from the fake dually wheels and the offset it created. Low miles could definately have some bearing on why it never broke. Truth is many of them never broke but they can at any time. No way to know until it happens and taking chances on a large moving vehicle is just not a smart thing to do

Linda S

Thanks again,

I guess I was unclear on that point.I would NEVER put my family back into it now,knowing what I do.

I was more referring to the second guy who seemed unconcerned about it.I don't know if I should even sell it to #2 since he didn't seem concerned.

I would hate for something to happen to him and his family and I would also be concerned about a law suit if he chose to ignore this fix.

Ugh,I wish I had a good answer to this. situation.

Thanks for the link and input. I checked it out and feel like the figure it came up w/ is workable for all involved.

25k miles... did you drive it a little each year? I bought a 25k mile rig and drove it 500 miles no issue. Next time I drove it 8 miles 2 months later and the head gasket blew. I don't know how it was taken care of but 25k on the engine doesn't mean its better than a 85,000 mile rig. As far as the axle, My wife and I drove our 1983 hutsman with the 5 lug 13,000 miles, we had to replace the inner axle 1 time and it went again for the new owners about a year after... that was in 2000 before we knew about the 6lug. We heard it going when it started to go... it wasn't a sudden snap.

Thanks for the reply.

We have only owned the MH for 5 yrs. We have had 2 uneventful trips from WV to PA w/ it in that time as well as 6-7 instate trips.

We have put roughly 3000 mi on it ourselves.

It runs great and drives well.I also have no idea how it was maintained by the previous owners.

We were shocked when we were informed of the axle recall and greatful we had not had any issues.

I am glad to know you had some warning before you lost yours and that you and your wife were fine.

Thanks