Sunrader consultant needed

dwavetman

My husband and I recently purchased a 1987 21' Sunrader. Our first RV. It has the standard air on top; propane fridge and stove. We thought it good that it only had 38,900 miles on it. When we read Turbo Greg's post, we are now thinking we are "babes in the woods" about this unit. The only two things we noticed: It looks like someone did something to the fender where the gas tank was. We bought this from a dealer, who bought it at an auction, and he didn't know what had been done. Suspect something to do with the gas tank. And a little rust where the water heater is lit. (How do you fix that?)

Otherwise it's a very clean vehicle, but seems to be rather underpowered going up hills. Only a 4 cyl. Does anyone know of someone in the Sacramento area who is knowledgeable about how to give it more power. Thank you.

And a little rust where the water heater is lit. (How do you fix that?)

seems to be rather underpowered going up hills. Only a 4 cyl. Does anyone know of someone in the Sacramento area who is knowledgeable about how to give it more power.

Rust around the burner is "normal" and nothing to worry about. The heat from the burner will cause the metal to be more susceptible to rusting. Pull the drain plug out and if no rust comes out of the tank you are fine...

A 4 banger on a long coach is a real stretch for power. There was a thread not to long ago about now to squeeze a few more HP out of an R22

http://www.toyotamotorhome.org/forums/inde...p?showtopic=595

Just about everything possible that could be done to an R22 was discussed

Don't know any thing about a sunrader, know little about the 4 cyl. Mine has 4 spd. slow maybe, but that is why we got it. To look at the country side as we travel about. I don't know how fast ours will go, only have driven it one time from where we got it. I know it will do 55 mph and thats really fast enough and too fast to look at country.