Anyone interested in a $500 Sunrader

turtle

Bring your own chain... but the price is right

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...em=160136107253

Diesel Mike, do you think that Raider can be brought back to serviceable use or is it only good for the parts? Shooter.

If you are close to where it is located you should go look at it to make that decision. The blown head gasket "probably" means that the head is warped and would need to be replaced. The missing hogs head in the diff can be replaced from a salvage yard axle.

If the interior is not water damaged there is no reason that someone willing to put in a couple thousand could not have a serviceable Sunrader.

With the bad engine and missing diff parts this coach is a perfect candidate for a 2L-TE engine (turbo diesel) and some low rear end gears (add an additional $4k to the final price). You can get a late model 2L-TE 1/2 chop from Jarco for around $2500..... or a 1KZ-TE for around $4k..... Just make sure you get a 5 speed trans with the chop.

With a 2L-TE, 5 speed, and some 456 gears you would have an awesome coach that would last forever and get 18-20 mpg... The 1KZ-TE would turn it into a turbo diesel rocket ship :weight_lift:

Here is where that Sunrader unit is located.

http://www.moosepucky.com/sunrader/sunraderLocatedHERE.gif

Too bad it is a 21' 4 banger auto and not an 18'... I have never been a big fan of the long coaches with 4 cylinder and auto trans...... Especially the ones with the rear door. I think that they are too under powered not to mention unwieldy and just too hard to park anywhere.... NOW if it were a 21' rear dinette model..........

For transporting it..... The most economical way would be to rent a U-Haul truck and an auto trailer. Load the coach on the trailer and drive it back home with the U-haul empty (just using it as the pulling rig).

Thank you Mike and everyone else for the imput and quick response on the $ 500.00 Raider. Lots of work but I am thinking of going for it. The U-Haul car trailer, could handle the wheel base in you opinion, thanks again , Shooter.

Well the Odd Duck has put lock on all extra funds right now. So that sunrader will go to another, isn't it up around a grand now. Ya really would want a serious project to get that one 7 grand to put into it.

You have to realize that $7k would put in a late model (1995-2007) 1KZ-TE 125 hp 3 liter TDI turbo diesel. To put this into perspective the stock V-6 is only 143 hp.....

Re-milling the existing R22 head and replacing the hogs head with a stock (junk yard) unit would cost less than $1k. The eBay listing still only has 2 bids ($510)

It all depends on where you want to go with a project and how much "sweat equity" you can put in yourself. Engine swaps are not hard but time consuming (figure 100-150 hours of your own time if you don't run into any major snafus).

Personally, I wouldn't do a TD swap out in anything other than a 17' or 18' shortie (less weight to pull around).

Bottom line.... Find something that you want to have for a LONG LONG time before you start doing extensive modifications.... I have well over $15k into the diesel but it is worth every penny and every hour spent on it....

Thank you Mike and everyone else for the imput and quick response on the $ 500.00 Raider. Lots of work but I am thinking of going for it. The U-Haul car trailer, could handle the wheel base in you opinion, thanks again , Shooter.

Call the seller on the phone (they have their # in the listing)... ask about RUST... They are very near the ocean and in ROAD SALT land.... FRAME rust is where you need to worry... you can use ospho then paint everything but you can't replace a frame once it is rusted out. Toyotas are box frames and they will rust from the inside out...

As far as the trailer..... http://www.uhaul.com/guide/index.aspx?equi...g-autotransport Use your own judgment and if you do "go for it" drive SLOW (like 45 mph or UNDER). Wheel base is not the issue.... How far would you have to go...

You may want to see if you can find a welding shop near the seller that can make a tow bar for the front, then chop it off once you get it back... You'd still have to use a heavy truck to pull it.

Maryland to Massachusetts, 8 hours at the speedlimit, but it is do-able. Just got to figure out how, shooter.

Getting around Philly, NYC, and Hartford is going to be a problem for you.

What I was trying to say without being too obvious is that you may be as much as 1,500-2,000 lbs over weight on a U-Haul trailer.

Take everything out of it (take off the spare tire... even take off one of the dually tires on each side), drain the tanks (gas, propane, water, and waste).... Take everything off of it that will come off and put those extra parts inside of the U-haul truck

Depending on what all is wrong with it, getting it repaired locally (at least put into a drivable state) might be a better bet. Having it flat-bedded back that far could cost 3 times the purchase price. Do you know anyone who has a heavy equipment trailer that you could borrow/rent? Maybe check with a rental company (tool/equipment rental)... Maybe you could rent one of their heavy equipment trailers for a day.

Auction is over, maybe I win and maybe I loose by the time I get the rader home, My friends are helping me, scouring the best way to handling moving or repairing it. Leaving it there is no problem for the seller until we pick it up. Listening to my friends talk tells me why no one else bid on it, they think I am nuts. My juices are running, which is good, better than drugs, Shooter.

• 2 months later...

The $ 500 dollar Sunrader is almost ready to leave Maryland for Massachusetts, it took a while to bring all parties together. It should be an interesting trip. we are going to use an 07 hvy duty GMC towing package truck and a long bed car carrier. We hope to do it in one day of traveling.

Kewl......