Hi

sure if this post should follow anything already. please move to part of forum if nessacary.

I was only getting 13-14 uk miles to gallon after fitting new spark plugs. went to have tracking checked. mechanic that checked tracking was amazed at how far it was out. not sure how many degrees out on lazer gauge it was 5 bar marks out but he had to adjust tracking arm by 12 mm or 1/2" on one arm. other bad news is that previous owner did not fit van tyres so max psi is 40lb way below toyota recomended pressure. so hoping ehen i can afford 6 new tyres fuel consumption should be over 15 uk mpg. if v6 has a knock sensor would 97 octane be better than 95 octane. these are the only 2 grades avaliable in uk.

Thanks

dave

Hi

sure if this post should follow anything already. please move to part of forum if nessacary.

I was only getting 13-14 uk miles to gallon after fitting new spark plugs. went to have tracking checked. mechanic that checked tracking was amazed at how far it was out. not sure how many degrees out on lazer gauge it was 5 bar marks out but he had to adjust tracking arm by 12 mm or 1/2" on one arm. other bad news is that previous owner did not fit van tyres so max psi is 40lb way below toyota recomended pressure. so hoping ehen i can afford 6 new tyres fuel consumption should be over 15 uk mpg. if v6 has a knock sensor would 97 octane be better than 95 octane. these are the only 2 grades avaliable in uk.

Thanks

dave

13 to 15 MPG with UK/Canadian Imperial gallons is only 10.5 to 12.5 MPG in the USA (US wine gallons). That is pretty poor fuel mileage unless you're driving at 75 MPH everywhere you go (i.e. 120 KMs per hour). I doubt the tracking being off is affecting it much. If it's "dog tracking" though, seems it wouldn't be much fun to drive. If your tires are squatting half-flat and you get them to "unsquat" maybe you'll gain 1 MPG or so.

Can't comment on your fuel choice. If it isn't pinging/detonating with regular - I doubt you'll gain by using a higher octane. Pretty easy to check and verify though.

Hi

thanks for reply. strangely handling has changed much on corners but straight line driving is vastly improved along with acceration. not talking a flooring for kick down judt seems like a lot less effort to get to mph and stay there. With cruise control on now kick down on hills seem alot less.

I'll keep everyone posted on how next tank goes. looking to see if i can get 20 uk mpg. next job after mot is full service with filters and some more lightening mods. looking to replace all motorhome glass with polycarbonate this could save up to 100kg. will also remove air conditor on roof and fit sky light spoilers to reduce noise and drag. i think full service and new van tyres will be best first steps. correct tyres and pressures should give handling and small mpg improvements.

Hi

just read my last message should be 50mph for cruise control.

Lol

Dog-tracking is a common ailment on rear-wheel drive trucks. Often caused by the leaf-spring center-bolt being damaged from impact, allowing the placement of the rear axle to shift a bit. When bad it's hard to go in a straight line without constantly correcting. But from what you are reporting - your problem was caused by the front suspension being out of wack? I assume your mechanic knew what he/she was doing and verified the problem was in front and not in back.

Hi jdemaris

he was going to do four wheel alinement but duellers put paided to that. Drivers side wheel had unsual wear. no unusal wear found on back wheels. toy is now driving well. found straight bit of road let steering go loose in my hands and now drives straight and well. now runs on a lighter throttle opening at 50mph and feels to have a power increase. ???!!! so tracking must of been way out.

What is the mileage on your rig? I see it is the V-6. They are known for burning valves and an early sign of a burnt valves. Another possibility is a bad O2 sensor. When they go bad, it will run rich, causing lousy mileage.

I'll second the O2 sensor. I was getting about 12 mpg. Changed it and now get a little better then 14 - about 14.5.

you need high octane gas - there are 2 formulas for computing octane in the usa. regular is 87 octane & that should be all you need (assuming you have the same engine we have in the USA).

If you are concerned about your front end alignment and/or your rear end lining up with the front I recommend that you get someone to drive your camper & follow in another vehicle - a very straight flat road is ideal, you will see if your rear end is offset - it is obvious.

Hi

my dolphin v6 is a calfornia import. bought after it had been put into storage. having mot on wed where emissons are checked. this will give me an indcation on state of engine. aldo thinking of getting rid of cat and replacing with a silencer. Cat is not a legal requirement on my age of vehicle in uk. i know early cays in usa

Sorry pushed wrong button.

Early cats in usa where known for strangling engines. will check o2 sensor. when im doing oil change i will use a 5-40 oil as temperature in my part of the world rarly get upto 20c.

Hi

update on mot test. its a test for mechical and body work. 77 different tests carried out. it passed first time mot tester is very impressed with it. says hes seen 3 year old cars in far worse states. my emissions are co 0.071% (pass limit under 3.5%) hc 40ppm (pass limit under 1200pm)

These emissions are incredlily low, a lot of new cars would struggle to get that low. Since tracking altered am up approx 4mpg. upto 17-18 uk mpg.

Full service still to go and sort correct tyres. in europe now they have ratings for tyres. the listed 3 ratings are for fuel econ, wet weather and noise all done under a - g rating a is best g is worst. have found one tyre that fits toy with a c rating in all three. 98% of tyres suitable are e - f rating in all three. prices vary by £30 a tyre and most expensive is one of the worst !!!!!! Thats a globally known highly rated tyre ????? As they say pays your money and takes your choice.

Looks like you are getting normal fuel consumption so you probably dont need to change anything,but one thing that is often overlooked on these engines is the temperature sensor for the ECM, it is a separate sensor from the one for the temp gauge and gets old and slow response often replaceing it will give some improvement in mileage

Hi

conti's where the best rated and a very good price here in europe. they were my first choice

• 2 months later...

Hi

update on fuel consumption. now getting 16 english mpg. Have done full service sorted cooling system also removed the air intake silencer. drives better over the roads im using. roads are a classed but are full of creasts and going from sea level to 400m above sea level several times in 20 miles. think this is reasonable but like everyone else would prefer more mpg. hope this figure would improve when we get to go away in it and use flatter roads.