Power Converter / Charger issue

Hobotrek

Hello, I have a 1978 Chinook. Inside there is a Central Power Pack ES-15 converter and battery charger combo. The charging circuit is only putting out about nine volts? I have limited knowledge on converters. I do know that all the wires are firmly were they should be. Where should i start looking? Are there any mechanical linkages in these older chargers? i was just wondering if anyone else have one of these Central Power Pack systems and might now a little about them.

Hello, I have a 1978 Chinook. Inside there is a Central Power Pack ES-15 converter and battery charger combo. The charging circuit is only putting out about nine volts? I have limited knowledge on converters. I do know that all the wires are firmly were they should be. Where should i start looking? Are there any mechanical linkages in these older chargers? i was just wondering if anyone else have one of these Central Power Pack systems and might now a little about them.

The Basler ES-15 is a simple converter and very easy to repair. You've probably got a failed diode/rectifier. They take the AC power from the transformer and turn it into DC. New ones cost around $5 each at a Radio Shack store. The ES-15 when it left the factory had three 10 amp rated rectifier/diodes. Made 15 amps @ 14 volts DC including the 3 amps for battery charging.

I'd replace them with something better. An NTE5980 is rated 40 amps and is $6.50 locally and $2 each on-line. The problem with buying on-line though is the shipping exceeds the cost of the parts. If you have an electric motor or starter/generator shop around - they will have the parts in stock. EASY fix.

Thanks a million Jdemaris!! This is exactly what i was looking for. I will order the new diodes in the next few days and i will let you know!