88 Toyota Seabreeze 22re missing, tune up didn't help...help!

Bought it 2 years ago with 56,000 miles on it, have driven it 25,000 miles with no problems. Just drove from NC to Yellowstone. As I got here, it started to die at stop signs, etc. Started back up, but died again when I pressed accelerator. Mechanic said it was missing, did a complete tune up...no better. Said engine might be shot. With 81,000 miles, I don't believe it. Any idea what I should have them check now. Oh, they have agreed to do a compression test.

I don't agree about the engine being shot. Sounds like a performance issue. Check the basics, fuel, spark.

At first glance, a fuel issue.

Easiest problem, you may have some bad gas. If you have old winter blend gas it may be subject to vapor lock, particularly when attempting to accelerate from a stop. Try filling up with new, namebrand gas.

Fuel pump might be getting worn. Filling the tank up should increase head pressure on inlet of the pump and let you drive to a more reputable mechanic. Or if you have no choice, have them check the fuel pressure.

Spark

did the mechanic check the timing? How about the distributor cap and rotor?

The timing chain once wore out on my 22RE and slipped, causing low power and stalling, but that was around 140K miles.

Somewhere on this site is a link to a factory service manual. It will have a troubleshooting table and more suggestions.

Bad gas was my first thought. I had just driven 2000 miles across country, using all different kinds of gas. Right after it started missing and stalling, I did fill it up with gas...didn't help.

I had the spark plugs, wires, cap, rotor, and fuel filter replaced...no diffenence.

Thanks for the suggestions; I'll have them check the fuel pressure and timing.

I had the exact same problem, Ultimately turned out to be the valves needed adjusting. Read the entire story on this thread

ROUGH IDLE

John Mc

88 Dolphin 4 Auto

I would check the compression on each cylinder. If any are low then pressurize the low cylinder (with piston at TDC) & listen to determine where the compressed air is leaking out -- exhaust pipe (indicates exh valve), carb (intake valve), dipstick (ring blow by) and around the head gasket.