I went ahead and jumped the gun and bought new shocks and coils for the front. I now realize getting those front coils off will take special tools, and care not to hurt myself. Anyone have experience? Do I need to pop out the top balljoint (another special tool)? Do I need a spring compressor (special tool)? Am I better off just taking it in to someone?

Did you buy the rear Saab springs that have the correct specs for the Toyota front? Or did you find someone actually selling with a Toyota part #?

To change them - it's pretty difficult without compressors (threaded rods with hooks). Two will do it. You disconnect the lower control arm from the steering knuckle at the ball joint, drop the arm down, take the old spring out and put the new one in. Then jack up the lower control arm to compress the spring and get it all back together.

With out a spring compressor, you jack up the front, remove the tire, loosen but DONOT remove the lower ball joint nut. Place a jack under the lower control arm, pop the ball joint lose, jack up the lower arm a small amount and remove the nut. THEN CAREFULLY lower the jack until the spring pressure is gone and remove the spring. Put it back together with the reverse procedure

With out a spring compressor, you jack up the front, remove the tire, loosen but DONOT remove the lower ball joint nut. Place a jack under the lower control arm, pop the ball joint lose, jack up the lower arm a small amount and remove the nut. THEN CAREFULLY lower the jack until the spring pressure is gone and remove the spring. Put it back together with the reverse procedure

That is very difficult to do. With the lower control arm swung all the way down - there is 11 1/2" of space to fit a spring in there. The OEM Toyota spring free-length is 12 1/2". Same with the new Saab springs. That means in order to jam in there and get the end of the spring bottom caught on the control arm (so you can jack it up) - the spring has to be compressed by a full 1". It can be done with a pry bar but it's far from easy.

A new set of spring compressors cost around $14 total . Not exactly a huge investment.

http://www.harborfreight.com/macpherson-strut-spring-compressor-set-3980.html

You can borrow the spring compressor at most Autozone or Advance auto parts. You actually pay for the tool and they refund your money when you return the tool and most of their tools are pretty decent quality.

Ok, that works. I always assume tools will be expensive, and there's a good chance I'd never use a spring compressor again. I agree, though, at that price, it doesn't much matter.

Buying then returning sounds like the best of both worlds.

Thanks!