Putting the windows back for the first time....few questions

Hey All,

Couple of questions.... I have taken the windows out and painted the Sunradar on the interior. Now I am putting the windows back, I got one inch butyl putty tape, I have cleaned all the windows or the old tape, but when I put the large window in the back the way the window seated it did not seem to include much of the top tape line...only about a quarter of an inch. When I was trimming away the excess I left about a quarter of inch from the window frame and pushed it back toward the window frame. My question is should I cut it all back and put a bead of silicone caulking over the top of the window? If I leave the butyl putty tape will it just collect dirt??

Question number two, the back side window on the drivers side has two red handles and when you pull them the window can hinge outward....it kind of looks like an emegency exit, but those red handles do not seem to seal very tightly. When I put the whole window back in I used the excess butyl tape to seal up that crack. Again the butyl tape open to the elements, will it just collect dirt and make a mess??

Thanks for the help.

When you tightened the windows down a fair amount of tape should have oozed out on the side of the camper outside. This is what tells you the window is completely sealed. I just cut mine flush with the window frame and no it doesn't collect dirt. Too tiny of a bead cause it's flush with window frame. I don't understand what your talking about the red handles not sealing. They are part of the inside of the window. I will check later today and see if there is any rubber seal there that maybe you are missing

Linda S